Sunday, July 27, 2008
This is a Monster Crochet first peeps! Yes indeedy. This is the first piece that I have made from my very own hand spun and dyed yarn!
I began this project by dyeing merino roving in blues and greens and then combined it with other hand dyed roving that I had previously purchased. Next, I spun the blue/green roving into singles, eventually plying them with black/navy/brown singles I had spun around same time to create the dual colored yarn making up the body of the stole.
Once I had accumulated about 1000 yards of homespun, I began to research stitch patterns and decided on a crocheted chevron.
At this point, I knew I'd be "making waves" and as such this creation was ripe for an applique I had been wanting to design for some time. Fish skeletons!
Bone colored fish skellies did not appeal to me however, so I dyed worsted weight wool with a mixture of yellow green and glow in the dark acid dye. (Yes, it is possible to purchase glow in the dark acid dyes!) The chartreuse fish skelly applique was born!
These skeletons were crocheted using a G hook and then sewn onto the front of the stole with sewing thread. I finished each fish head off with a needle felted eye.
I am absolutely thrilled with the results of this HUGE project! Not a fast process, but very satisfying nonetheless. You can be sure that there will be more "from fluff to FO" projects to come from ChezLinoleum!
Copyright 2008 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.