Monday, January 02, 2006

Needleworking Into The New Year!

Literally.

I started this little cardigan capelet on Thursday night and promptly finished it this morning. Here it 'tis in all of it's "being blocked" glory:





My daughter expressed her dislike of the colors I chose for this Autumnal-inspired beauty. Whateva! She's twelve and much more sedate when it comes to the color wheel than her momma as evidenced by this lovely sage green neck cozy she was crocheting at the same time I was knitting like a mad woman.



Looking at this photo I must say that her tension is really even. My offspring just began her crochet odyssey and has taken to it like a fish to water or maybe she's just a chip off the ole block. Shortly we may even have dueling cyclopsian creatures!

At any rate we were both working patterns from books. My capelet was from this one:



This is the second capelet I've made from this book. The first came together without a hitch. The directions for the one above had two typos in two separate decrease row repeats. Can I tell you that my words were a bit more colorful than the capelet as I frogged said decrease rows and worked through the mistakes so that the rows worked with the pattern and shape??? Seriously, patterns that are wrong really, really irritate me. Anyway, I prevailed over the mistakes. Yay! And I also stash-busted some of my Cascade 220 gluttony. I am definitely going to make more of these in different colorways. Lots more Cascade 220 in myriad colors in the closet...

My daughter was working from this book:



She loves it. I highly recommend it for the new crocheter whether child or adult. The directions are very clear. There are wonderful pictorial tutes. And there are plenty of projects that would be suitable for any age to enjoy.

All in all I think we're off to a good year here at Chez Linoleum. Happy '06 everyone!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY for your daughter.
And I love your color choices on the caplet! It's gorgeous!

Jessica said...

Good job for both of you! I love the colors of the capelet.

StarKnits said...

love the colors and the caplet! go you and your DD! that's awesome. start them young. i'll have to check out that kids crochet book it looks fun. happy new year

Crafty Andy said...

You forgot to make her a full head cap, so that when she wears it, she can pull it ove her head. It looks nice and easy to make. Congratulations. It will be a warm cozy capelet, she just have tohave an outfit to go with it. A nice pleated brown Skirt with a coral chiffon top. She can make a nice Autumn motif hat. Wow now you got me thinking of an outfit she can wear with the capelet. Good Job!

Pam said...

Happy 2006, may there be many eyeballs in your future.

~drew emborsky~ said...

Congrats on the capelet. I love the colors!

Happy New Year Lady-L!!!!!

Heather Cox said...

Gorgeous capelet! Thanks for the kids' book recommendation, I've been looking for one for my daughter.

Ellen Bloom said...

The lovely Lena is off to a great start. Well, she has a marvelous Linoleum Tutor! I think it's so funny/peculiar that your daughter likes neutral colors. Most kids her age are waaaay into pink, purple, magenta, etc. Maybe the love of wild colors skips a generation! You go, Girl!

Anonymous said...

Looks like your daughter is off to a great start! Thanks for the book recommendation, perhaps my daughter will find something in there that she'll want to finish! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Excellent work all around. I think I might check out that book for myself, I am going to start crocheting again this year.

sara said...

Tell your daughter her work is great!! I love the capelet!

Anonymous said...

Your capelet is great (as your stuff always is) but I am really impressed with your daughters scarf. I think sage green is a mature choice of colour for a girl of 12! I hope she wears it proudly!

PS- your "whateva" made me howl! You're a hoot.

Micky said...

It looks really wonderful. Forgive me though. I only saw a huge turkey's tail feathers when I first looked at it. You must be rubbing off on me!
:)

Daisy said...

Love the colors in your capelet--it's beautiful! Fall colors are some of the best colors IMO :)

Your daughter's doing fantastic. I know I wasn't nearly that even when I'd just started out!

Jana said...

happy new year regina! the capelet looks fab and your daughter is a great crocheter too. i cant wait till mine is old enough!!!

vicki said...

regina its lovely, i think your daughter crocheting also is wonderful . you can have a mom daughter crochet-a-thon, i love the fact mine can crochet and we often will together, happy new year to you too hugggs