Saturday, June 18, 2005

June's Month of Softies - June Bug

June's Month of Softies theme was the perfect excuse for me to crochet-up this little guy! His name is Supa' Fly and I made his wings and eyeball with size 8 perle cotton from DMC and size 8 hand-dyed Artfabrik thread. Incidentally, I've been buying Artfabrik thread for a while now and I LOVE Laura's colorways. All of her threads and fabrics are hand-dyed and the color quality is always consistent. Good stuff.

Supa' Fly's body is made with a novelty yarn that I bought while in New Orleans (I LOVE N'awlins - one of my most favorite cities in the US) about three years ago. So, I was effectively doing a little stash-busting too.

Supa' Fly taking flight:



I even embroidered a little speck of light on his eyeball to add a little "realism" (relative when it comes to my work LOL) to this one-eyed wonder:



From the side, note the sleek body style of this faux entomological gem:



From the top it almost looks like those wings could actually carry his blimp-like bod:



I plan on crocheting Supa' Fly's counterpart too...Flattened Fly! I know, I know, twisted.

Copyright 2005 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

18 comments:

Catana said...

You're a thoroughly evil woman. LOL. Hope you're going to edit those pics down some. It took FOREVER for them to load. If it was anybody else, I wouldn't have waited.

sara said...

What?! Supa' Fly ain't gonna have him a Fly Girl?!

I gotta get me some of that thread!

CraftyCritter said...

Holy Crap I LOVE HIM.....Can't wait to see whats escaping from your head next time!

sara said...

do you take requests? How 'bout Buzzbee Berkely?

or Bee-elzabubba

Anonymous said...

What a great surveillance fly - the ultimate 'Big Brother is watching you' eyeball.

Glad you liked the childish fantasy wardrobe - thanks for the comment.

Jessica said...

Love it! And he's sparkly. :)

Ro said...

ROFLMAO woman! That is HILARIOUS!

You should name him ShooFly!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Fabulous June Bug! I am never disappointed when I stop by.

MomThatsNuts said...

Yeah what sara said, wheres the fly girls?? lol you are so CRAZY.. I love the idea of a mutant BEE and well lets see...I saw this program on driver ants...you could have fun with thier claw/jaw things...lol

Mom

Rebecca said...

supa fly is amazing! talent in those twisted hands, girl!!!
hmmmm, flattened fly - i shudder

LadyLinoleum said...

Sara I was thinking about making a bee too...now, a devil/hick bee I'd not thought of...LOL.

Mom, driver ants might be cool too. Hmmmm...a whole new LL line of insects. There are possibilities there.

~drew emborsky~ said...

That is SO cool! You rock! Your creativity is inspiring!!

LadyLinoleum said...

Drew, you rock more!

ShelbyD said...

That is seriously disturbing. I think I love it.

Unknown said...

OK I just have to say I am so looking forward to Flattened Fly!!! I have spent the past few days battling flies that swarm in every time someone opens the door!

Anonymous said...

Got to you here via your Crochetville post---this is hysterical! I Checked out the Softies page which only seems to go up to the April theme announcement; how did you find out about the June theme (and what, exactly is it)? This is the kind of tickle I need to think more outside my usual frame.

AJ Rose - waterbaby @ safe-mail.net

Anonymous said...

Ohhh... can't wait to see flattened fly. Supa'Fly is much fun!

Anonymous said...

My mother in law sent me your link because she knows I collect eyeballs and I am a crafter.

I LOVE IT!!!

I suppose I have to learn how to crochet now too!

You rock!