Monday, December 12, 2005

Ode to King Kong

In anticipation of the December 14th opening of Peter Jackson's King Kong, I thought I'd give you all a look at LabLinoleum's version of the great ape. I find it difficult to believe that I made this costume/puppet almost six years ago while residing in Kuwait, but alas, it is true. Don't ask me why I was thinking about a gigantor gorilla and his movie legacy while living in the Arabian Desert. Maybe my mind needed to embellish the expansive sandy flatness that is that region of the world. Or maybe I was homesick for my beloved Los Angeles, my birthplace and also birthplace of the American film industry...Ahhh, Hollywood. Or perhaps I felt as if King Kong was a metaphor for my feeling the ultimate other in a very homogeneous Arab society.

Just prior to the onset of the Kong idea trickling into the crevices of my gray matter, I remember scouring the desert in search of craft materials for the supply I brought with me was becoming dangerously close to extinction. Finding craft supplies in the Arabian desert??? No small task, I can assure you. Finally after having driven Kuwait City from end to end or so it seemed, I stumbled upon a shop near my home (of all places) in the shopping district of Salmiya, stuffed floor to ceiling with crochet thread, notions, trim, outrageously embellished fabric, hooks, needles and shears...Walking in there brought tears to my eyes. Literally. And a few miles away in large hardware store no-less, I was amazed to find bolts of acrylic felt in four colors: cherry red, kelly green, black and white. I bought as much as I could carry and sprinted back to my flat with my crafty acquisitions.

I don't even remember how the concept that I should create my own version of the famed ape took root. It seems now as if the idea was simply a crafty immaculate conception. Staring at my newly acquired felt and thread and whatnots I just started working. In a matter of hours my Kong had taken shape.

Feet first...



Handsewn from felt with crocheted ribbing, I cut out his toenails from a black plastic folder I had laying around and sewed them on. Though it may not seem so on your monitor, these Kong footsies are larger than life.

Then the hands created with the same crafty processes as the feet...



Finished off the whole ensemble with the head (notice that this was made in my B.E. * Before Eyeballs * period)...



Of course my Kong has aspirations. He would like to shed his monstrous image and take his show on the road to become a stylin' rave DJ! That's right...make way for DJ Kong!

...And his sidekick, the former finger puppet turned Kong Fly Girl, Fay Wray!



I don't know about you peeps, but I am definitely going to see King Kong this weekend. I may even wear my DJ Kong duds. What'd ya think?

Copyright 2005-2006 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

20 comments:

Sheila said...

LOL! I DARE you!!! Take pics if you do! Very nice work, and that is an understatement. Your talent knows no bounds!

Anonymous said...

this is amazing.
how long where you there & what brought you to the middle of the desert?

Unknown said...

You definatly HAVE to go in Kong fashion. I will add like everyone else you HAVE to take photos!

Jessica said...

Oh hell yeah - wear the duds!

Michelle said...

I agree with everyone else: wear them and take pictures!!

And about the loom -- there's always room. I live with my packrat husband in a 635 sq ft apartment in the middle of Washington DC and have managed to cram an 8-harness Baby Wolf into my bedroom. It CAN be done!!

Heather Cox said...

Yes, wear them and take a photo for us! I love the Fay. I'm looking forward to it this weekend too. It looks like it'll be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Excellent costume! Even without "the eyeballs" the face is fantastic. You should so wear it to the movie. Heck, you live in LA, people would hardly notice.

noricum said...

Great job! Sewing on the plastic nails must have been a real pain!

Rebecca said...

Those plastic nails look great, well worth the pain they must have been. And great recycling idea.
Yes, wear the duds! Yes, take pics!

Pam said...

Yeah, you have to wear it all. And you should also go to one of the old fancy theaters on the Strip so you will be immortalized as a SuperFan on the evening news. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the kong costume! Go see it, and wear it!!!

Why were you in Kuwait? I used to live in Bahrain...

~drew emborsky~ said...

Excellent craftiness!!!

stuffed said...

Minus fingernails, the gloves, with horizontal blue/green stripes, look like MTM's from the opening of the MTMS. I am not obsessed, I am just saying. :)

Cool. Love it, head to toes.

Anonymous said...

You are commited crafster! Respect.

Anonymous said...

Again, you astound me. AND I just saw your Turkeyzilla bag on Craftster.Who knew you could conquer the world with a crochet hook...

Anonymous said...

Of course, it's what everyone does in the Arabian Desert. Isn't it? I'd wear those feet in bed to keep warm if I had them here in this miserably cold weather.

And I just can't keep up with this scorpion fabulousness - Rudolph is excellent.

Let me know when suits you for a turkey bag. We don't do turkey at Christmas & I'm very flexible on the poultry front.

MomThatsNuts said...

How long does that take you?? Holy cow....Im done with school for the semester so I will be checking in more!!!!

mom

Crafty Andy said...

I think that if anyone ever ask me who will you chose to be alone in a deserted island, I will have to say LadyLinoleum will be my first choice, as we will never be bored, we will encourage each other's creativity. AS I read your story I was in ther with you.

Rebecca said...

you MUST wear you kong gear to the show!! everyone will wish they were you :)

LG said...

This is amazing!!!
Can't wait to see a.s.a.p. your pic wearing it!!!! Please!!!