Monday, March 24, 2008

Lobster Bake Shawl

I mentioned that I've been on a nautical kick as of late right?

Yeah well, here's the latest in this series of aquatic themed projects...



And it's a stash-buster to boot! Yep, I made a serious dent in my acrylic stores with this crustacean emblazoned wonder...



The shawl itself is knit from the top down. I've made this half-rounder numerous times, beginning with 8 stitches and working until I have between 300 to 400 stitches in total (give or take). The piping around the edge is crocheted as are the lobster appliques.

Why appliques?

Because silly, you don't see the intarsia mess on the backside of the shawl!

I don't like messy.

I've also tried knitted appliques, but the finished product tends to be too stretchy for me. So, crochet the appliques I do. No give means a solid applique.

Now, if I could just find a So Cal lobster bake at which to wear this red, white and blue diddy, I'd be in business!

Heading to NYC tomorrow!

Promise, promise, promise to blog from there this time peeps!

Copyright 2008 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

13 comments:

Heather said...

they have beautiful shaping!
looks like shawl to wear at newick's restraunt.

Lynne E. said...

Your "stuff" always makes me smile--and usually I want to make it! The lobster shawl would be terrific to wear to one of our local San Francisco Bay Area fish restaurants with outdoor seating (e.g., Sam's Anchor Cafe in Tiburon, or the Nantucket Restaurant in Crockett).

Batty said...

Oh, awesome! Its subtitle could be The Massachusetts Shawl. Yay lobsters!

Ellen Bloom said...

You could cheat it a little and call it a Crawfish shawl! You'd be a knockout at any Louisiana crawfish boil!

Yeah So said...

Too fabulous!

I was just thinking of knitting a lobster I found on ravelry too!

naomi said...

Ahoy matey ! Your posts have been making me long for summer......

The shawl is another of your ingenius projects :)

Deneen said...

My husband is from New England and honestly, both the shawl and the bag remind me of Cape Cod-very cool.

I remember you mentioning NY and bummer I didn't keep track, I could have tried to make it there-Elena is on Spring Break. Unfortunately, now, we're headed to Baltimore for a few days cause Elena "needs a Spring Break" like the rest of the kids traveling (LOL).

Micky said...

Cool like all of your other crustaceans, I mean creations.
;)

Anonymous said...

Love the lobsters. Very cool.

Pam said...

LOVE this!

Sally said...

Your projects make me happy. :o)

Anonymous said...

but there IS a lobster festival in your neck of the woods -- you need only go as far as san pedro! i went to it a few years ago when i was living in venice, ca. it's in mid-september this year and you can find out about it at lobsterfest.com the perfect place to don your crustacean cape! have fun

Devin Adams said...

Good job. A lobster bake is always a feast for the senses because it is something that can be cooked in so many ways.