Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Free Pattern - Knit Half Round Shawl

I use this pattern again and again. It's easy and there is no end to the different color combinations, stitch patterns and embellishments one can apply to this versatile accessory.

For instance, I've adorned this half circle with grilled delights...



And simple stripes...



Olives and pimentos...



Corndogs...



As well as these crazy crustaceans...



Despite the examples above, I feel as if I've only begun my exploration about the realm of the half-round. Oh yes, more iterations definitely to come.

Love to see your take on this one too...

Come on, give it a try!

Materials
  • 800 yards (give or take) of worsted weight yarn
  • US size 8, 9 or 10 circular needle (40")

Abbreviations
  • BO - bind off
  • CO - cast on
  • K - knit
  • KF&B - knit in front and back of stitch
  • P - purl
  • PF&B - purl in front and back of stitch
  • PM - place marker
  • st/sts - stitch/stitches

Directions
Shawl is worked from top down.
CO 8 sts.
R 1 - K 2, PM, K 2, PM, K 2, PM, K 2.
R 2 - PF&B of every st.
R 3 - K
R 4 - P
R 5 - KF&B first and last sts and before and after each marker. (two increases made per "section").
R 6 - P
R 7 - K
R 8 - P
Repeat rows 5 - 8 until desired length is achieved. (I usually work until I have at least 320 stitches on the needles.)
BO.

It just doesn't get much easier than that!

Copyright 2008 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the pattern! Love this shawl. Of course, mine won't be as fabulous as the olives w/ pimentos...

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me with the things you come up with!

J said...

Excellent pattern! Thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to trying it. It was very cool to see all the variations you've done with it.

mj said...

The olives and pimentos are the BEST. Of course the steaks on the grill are a perennial favorite.

Batty said...

Thanks for posting it! I really love how the pattern looks great with all sorts of things. I think I'll have to make a black and white one with felted spiders on it sometime...

Marietta said...

thanks for the pattern - i must have missed the olives and pimentos! must make for my next martini night

Ann Marie said...

Oh.my.gosh. I would love to see this pattern with an eagle on it. You know, like Elvis' cape. I would totally walk around town with that. Ha!
Hmm... I might just try and make it for the fun of it.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the way you crochet. Would it be possibel for you to instruct me on how to crochey an applique? I'm not sure I understand the process. I get tunisian, but I don't get how you applique. Hmmm. . .

Magpie said...

perchance are you a member of the SCA? (http://sca.org)? the lobster and corndog shawls totally look like very amusing heraldry, although how you would blazon those corndogs is beyond me! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I was looking for this kind of pattern -- my plan is to make a rainbow effect with traditional rainbow colors (ROY G BIV) so I'll start with the violet and work out from there...
It is very kind of you to share.