Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Knit The Cheese!

This has been my knitting diversion of the last week and it happens to be a stash-buster to boot, due to much leftover cotton from this uh, boner.

Drum roll puh-lease!


Modeled by my lovely fellow cube farmer, Brenita!

Nothing like a little Swiss cheese to wrap around the old neck. And due to its fiber content and many holes, this lovely cheesy rectangular wonder is THE spring accessory for peeps who like to play with their food just as much as they like eating it. Pair it with a half-slice of olive loaf and you've got yourself one DELI-licious outfit!



"I Knit The Cheese" was just as easy to work up as it will surely be fun to wear! I worked the openings in wherever I felt the need for one using my "hole charts" for assistance. Basically, I came up with three sizes of openings (small, medium, and large) and charted the stitches needed (or not needed in this case) in excel.



Working charts from the bottom up, I bound off the first 1 - 3 stitches (depending upon the hole size) of the future opening, then worked even across the rest of the row before turning and working back toward bind off. At this point I began working with two skeins of yarn, attaching at opposite side of bound off area. Using my chart(s) as a guide, I made the bottom half of the opening(s) larger by decreasing one stitch on each side of the hole(s). Conversely to make top half of the hole(s) smaller, I increased one stitch on each side of opening(s). To close hole(s) I casted on the same amount of stitches as the beginning bind off and continued knitting across entire row. I repeated that process over and over at random points on the scarf for a perfectly Swiss cheesy look! Finally I cleaned up the hole edge(s) with a round of single crochet. I just think the crochet makes it look cleaner.



Anyway, I encourage you all to try knitting some cheese. It's fun, fast and you get a pretty cool accessory at the end of the journey.

How metaphoric is it that I was knitting fabric with holes? The unconscious is amazing is it not?

Copyright 2007 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

17 comments:

Raygun Robyn said...

Holy crap that's awesome!! I make cheese stuff too! www.curdburglar.com The curd is the whey!

dizzy von damn! said...

that's so cute. i really like it.

it almost isn't cheese-like at all. i bet people will just think it's holey.

Deneen said...

That's amazing and I love it and agree with Miss Kendra-most won't know it's cheese at all, but a cool "holey" scarf.

Lindsey said...

hole-y fabric... very metaphysical. you should come up with a plan for time travel next, what with the ripping holes in the fabric of time and stuff.

Anonymous said...

That is by far the coolest scarf ever! Not cheesy in the least!

Pam said...

I love the phrase/title, "I knit the cheese" that does bring a smile to my face.

Madge said...

I really like it, too. Esp. the crochet around the holes. I saw the photo before reading the post title, and I thought "wormhole." Definitely nothing cheezy about it.

Batty said...

Brilliant, as usual!

I particularly like the fact that it's freaky in a subtle, subversive way. Just a pretty scarf with holes in it, like so many. Except than you take a closer look at it and realize you're looking at cheese!

Jerry & Maxy said...

Killer, of course! I love it, but I do love cheeze :).

Agnes said...

Very cute and very creative!

Anonymous said...

Very cool.

watercolour said...

Oh, it´s a funny design...this scarf.
Many greetings from Karin O.

Micky said...

Why is it every time I read your blog I get hungry?

Rebecca said...

LOVE IT! i'm all excited because, i'm knitting a holey scarf, too.... who knew i was in the zone with lady linoleum herself :D

Heather Cox said...

Your work always makes me hungry!LOL

Mandy said...

Well. I've seen knitted swiss cheesiness before, but this is far superior. Beautiful and tasty!!

Felicity Ford said...

How has it taken me this long to find your blog?

This is incredible