Thursday, March 29, 2007

The One Ring Con



Yes, that is Andy Serkis, Gollum in the flesh, holding my Gollum Hat, Gollum in the em, yarn!

And yes, I cropped my couple of martini lunch One Ring Convention self out of the picture. Really, I'm doing you all a service by not posting my half of the pic. I look the epitome of "drunken nerd". It's truly frightening.

Ahem, moving right along...

So, yeah, I got in touch with my inner geek by attending my first ever sci fi/fantasy convention in the lovely municipality of Burbank, California a few weeks ago. Needless to say, the experience was illuminating. And no, I did not dress up as an elf, but I did don my Gandalf t-shirt (yes, I own a Gandalf t-shirt!) and my Gollum Hat. I mean come on, if I can't wear Gollum on my head at an LOTR convention, wear the heck can I wear it??? I digress...

I didn't go alone either. My two fellow LOTR-lovin' girlfriends accompanied me (one a sci fi con vet and the other a newbie like myself). We went to cool symposiums such as "Making Armor in Your Kitchen" (incidentally, the three of us found we were way ahead of the lecturer in terms of our materials stockpiles and skill sets...hey, we're artists!), "Ringers: Behind the Scenes" (consisted of live Director's commentary whilst viewing the 2005 documentary) and rounding the day out with an Andy Serkis appearance/conversation. In between the scheduled festivities we hit the adjacent hotel bar for snacks and cocktails. Oh, and of course, I shelled out extra moola for the Andy Serkis photo op thang, which was totally worth it despite the fact that my souvenir photo clearly exhibits my "snacks and cocktails" pickled complexion.

Now, you should know I didn't leave the convention premises without first purchasing a few pieces of memorabilia to commemorate my very first nerd-a-thon. Yes, yes, I know the Andy Serkis pic is supposed to suffice, but people, hel-lo? I'm a bit compulsive, if you hadn't already figured that one out. So, yes, I acquired more booty in the form of jewelry.

A likeness of Gollum for my finger...



And of course The One Ring in silver 'cuz that's my style...



I kind of like this convention thing. I am thinking about purchasing tickets for this one next. Needless to say my teenage daughter is mortified that I'm even attending these type of events. Methinks her reaction to my nerd-dom makes me even more desirous of becoming a regular convention attendee...I know, I'm twisted that way.

Happy Thursday Kids!

22 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Attend the convention? Why not have your own booth at the convention?!?? You could sell patterns for all of your nerd-like creations! Love that idea.

Kiki said...

How flippin sweet is that?! Forget nerdy, that is way too cool, good job!

Pinkwool said...

Why do they always have the coolest cons out in Cali? I am so jealous. BlizzCon is out there too and I would love to go. My hubby and his pals are itching to go to ComiCon.

Love, love, love the One Ring. I had thought about getting that one for hubby at one point. :)

I don't know how I'd react if my dad went to Star Trek cons when I was your daughter's age. You'd think she would think you are pretty hip for going. Lol

LadyLinoleum said...

Ellen - Now there's an idea!

Kay - Thanks Kay! I thought it was pretty cool that I happened to be there the day Gollum was there.

Fluffy Ewe - It is nerd central out here girl. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. LOL I totally want to go to Fangoria though. Max Brooks (author of the Zombie Survival Guide) is set to be there. How cool is that?

dizzy von damn! said...

you are adorable.

sadly, i will not be present tonight. i'm prepping for the move this weekend. i will be popping in next week, though not staying then either.

:(

LadyLinoleum said...

Miss Kendra - I will miss you! I'll try to make it to SNB next week though. You know how sporadic I am.

Lindsey said...

rock on! oh how i wish oklahoma was as cool as cali... of course, i wouldn't trade tornados for earthquakes for a million dollars, but it would be nice to have such awesome conventions and whatnot! there's just something about the ground actually moving that really freaks me out. anyway, love the gollum ring, and of course the one ring. i'm so jealous! fangoria sounds awesome - you must take tons of pics for your blog so those who can't go can drool with envy and live vicariously through you!

Sharon said...

You are entirely too cool - I wish I got to meet Gollum! I'm digging the Gollum ring. However, it reminds me of this ring that my best friend used to have - it was two people getting freaknasty and it looked disturbingly similar to that Gollum one. Just saying.

Lyssa said...

cool! I didn't even know about the One Ring convention, and I practically live in Burbank.

I think our next con is Baycon...then maybe ComiCon...must make costumes.

Batty said...

You're generally brilliant, but your Gollum hat is quite possibly the most brilliant thing you have ever made.

Enjoy the convention!

Anonymous said...

I would give my left arm to go to Fangoria (and I'd probably fit in spectacularly with that one arm.) I'd love to attend the cons that come here, but no one ever wants to come with me. Buncha party poopers. That's so awesome that you got to meet Gollum and I love your rings!

Pam said...

Priceless!

Micky said...

That's just awesome. Since it was at a convention, I guess he wasn't too weired out by the hat. heehee
And as for the one ring, I have always wanted one too. I have the LOTR Monopoly, and it has one in it that you use in the game. Guess that will have to do for now.
:)

Miri Mack said...

It's a wonderful thing to have a gollum hat that you can just grab at the last minute to complete your convention outfit! Other people probably have some boiled leather laying about, but crochet has got to be pretty unique at an LOTR con.

The One Ring is Tres Cool!

The Bookworm said...

oh my gosh, I'm so jealous!!!
:)

natasha said...

that photo is freakin hilarious. i have a couple of brothers that would pee their collective pants to hear about that. my brother works comic book conventions so...you know..um...you need to quit cutting yourself out all the time...
xo

Madge said...

Heh, heh, making armor in your kitchen. Crafty girls are a force to be reckoned with!

Unknown said...

olá,visitando...
parabens!!!
lindo seu blog seu trabalho,tenho blog de trico e croche,espero sua visita seu parecer,que tal trocarmos os links?o meu é *thera trico e croche*aguardo sua resp:
bjos,thera-so-ham...

Samantha said...

You're too cool... the hat met the real gollum? Nice!

MiniBooger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MiniBooger said...

WAY TO GO!!
I went to The One Ring Con 2 years ago. It was a blast! But, I met Andy Serkis at a book signing - now we can both say we're Gollum's girlfriend!

http://home.earthlink.net/~jandkthornton/miniboogers/id14.html

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey, you haven't lived till you go to a Fan Run SF/F Convention like WorldCon or DragonCon or MarCon. If you have been to both, you will find the atmosphere at the volunteer-run cons much more fun.

The big volunteer conventions do get big media stars as well. MarCon has Kevin Sorbo this year.

Pax,

MLO