Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Corsetry 101

So, my hook and I took a stab at crocheting an undergarment (or outergarment depending upon my mood) that has been on my "to design" list for some time. I give you the first and definitely not the last iteration of the under bust corset!

The front...



And the back...



Now let me tell you all that I haven't taken my measurements for over a month and clearly, I need to break out my handy tape measure because this waist-cincher is less cinch and more wade. Yeah, the finished garment is about three inches too wide. I mean, I know my body is changing due to my exercise program, but jeez, who knew???

Anyway, I stepped on the footpath to designing this item with a purchase. Yep, I bought a sewing pattern containing several corset styles. Having never made a corset before, I needed a reference to work from. Hell, even Lily Chin does this (as she explained to us in class). So, if the process is good enough for her, then it is good enough for me.

Sewing pattern pieces separated, hook and yarn at the ready, I started working on panels for a corset that I was sure would fit 'round my middle. Oh well, it was an excellent exercise despite the bad fit. I now know that for my next corset I need to use a yarn with little to no elasticity (think cotton) and that I need to keep my tape measure handy. Once I have one of these diddies the way I like it, I can embellish it, design it in a range of sizes so that the rest of you can make one if you so choose and take the entire undergarment extraordinaire to the next level (think over bust). Oh, and I really want to work this pattern up using Tunisian crochet once I've perfected the single crochet version. Hell, I may even invest in some boning...

However, before I get too deep into the process I know I need to downsize first and foremost and I am definitely okay with that! I'm going for something more like this...



Next stop Corsetry 201!

Copyright 2007 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

30 comments:

Pixiepurls said...

LOVE it!

stuffed said...

Cool! Outerwear. :0)

Deneen said...

Cotton stretches too unless it's done with a small hook-and trust me, you are way better a crocheter then I will ever be, but my opinion would be to try the boning because that would keep it from "curling down" when you sit down. Tunisian should be perfect for it or even linked treble or double crochet for a denser fabric.

Unknown said...

This is very pretty. I really like it.

laura said...

Fancy! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Crafty Andy said...

I think Deneen has the idea. Tunisian looks to me like a garment stitch tna anything.

StarKnits said...

stupid blogger ate my comment! i love it. sorry it's too big. but not really sorry GO YOU loosing weight!

Heather said...

i love the colours!

Desperate Housewife said...

Cool! I used to just think corsets were sexy.
Now that I'm older and wiser (heavier) I appreciate the whole make-your-waist-smaller idea.

Anonymous said...

Ooh la la! You know, I just saw something similar at StitchDiva.com. It seems crochet corsets are becoming all the rage! Can't wait to see how your second one turns out.

Carol said...

Ooo Monster goes undercover! Really nice!

naomi said...

I love it !

Anonymous said...

Generally, I can't see the point of corsets, but yours might make me change my mind! Nice colors, nice concept. Obviously you're well on your way towards correcting the "opera singer" sizing. :D

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I should try one out to see if it gives any type of back support. Anything to help out my badly herniated disk.

Batty said...

I love corsets as outerwear. I frequently wear the real thing, and it just adds a certain something, whether it's worn over or under clothing.

Snugs Montreal said...

well if it is a bit too big you should submit it to a crochet magazine to publish the pattern, then you wont feel it was a waste if it was too big and you don't get it back...and you can make smaller sizes to print a range of sized patterns

Anonymous said...

ooooooh! *very* nice! Now I want to make one! There is a pattern on the internet for making your own custom fit corset (cloth.) It involves a t-shirt and duct tape.

Anonymous said...

Yes Come on over on Saturday (it is my day off, but Kat will be there) Shaeri will be there as well ( she is the person who is doing the sewing) and she is a CORSET MAKER !--I am open 1 to 6...Sorry I won't meet You, 2941 Rowena Ave, right across from The Coffee Table and one block East of Hyperion Ave and about 1 blocks West OG Glendale Bl. (parking in the back)
I love your Corset!
Edna

max said...

Wow! Very cool and what a good idea to make a corset that will be comfortable :D Alo, thanks for being so positive about my plastic bag crocheting. I've got more plans for that afoot...

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I love this blog for many reasons. For example,

"because this waist-cincher is less cinch and more wade" Awww, poor baby! If you can't wear it, I know someone who can!

"involves a t-shirt and duct tape". Kinky. Me likey!

And my all-time favorite,

"Hell, I may even invest in some boning..."

HELLUVA investment, anytime!!!

Micky said...

OMG! That is fabulous.
I love corsets.
You totally know how to win a girl's heart.
;)

Lesalicious said...

Love it great job :)Love your blog. Hi there want to invite you to post your blog on Crafty Crafter's its a top 100 site for those people that blogs are about there hobbies any hobbies. So hope to see you there. Here is the link.
http://craftycrafters.gotop100.com/index.php

Kare said...

I really love it!

Gina said...

What an amazing idea! Love it!

Marnie said...

Bee-You-Tea-Full

Have you ever considered working it with negative ease in a yarn like Cascade Fixation? Maybe held double? Just a thought. Regardless, I love it. LOVE IT.

The Bookworm said...

hola chica, love the corset idea.
very nice! as usual, you are my crochet hero.

Pam said...

LOVE IT!

Susan Schwake said...

back from the beach and then off to college here - but just a moment to check in on LL! grace would have LOVED one of these for her rocky horror stint two weeks ago.

Shell said...

totally loving it, you can use those zip-ties that people use to hold their computer cords together for corset boning

Mor Tosbaa Tasarım said...

It's so beautiful..