Friday, July 13, 2007

I *Heart* Lily Chin

Day 3 in Manchester. It was beautiful this morning...



Today Mom, Lena and I had two classes a piece on the schedule. In the morning Lena and Mom took a woven crochet class while I took a design workshop with my girls, Mary Beth Temple and Amie Hirtes, given by the amazing Lily Chin.

As most of you already know your Lady of the Linoleum hails from Art World Central, far, far away from Downtown Design. So as a result, I am now trying to educate myself on the fundamentals of how to construct garments. This is why conferences such as the Knit and Crochet Show, offering a variety of classes for the design professional (no matter the level of expertise), are an attraction for me.

I was fortunate to register early enough to be able to get into Lily's class, Fine Shaping in Stitch Patterning. Basically, the premise of the class was to learn to use and modify pattern repeats according to the shaping and construction of a crocheted or knitted garment. Fascinating to say the least. Life-changing really.

First the brilliant Ms. Chin had us use our own measurements to create a personalized sweater template...



After creating the template and subsequent discussion, Lily gave us lots of amazing handouts from her book (which I already own, thank you very much) to aid us in our design efforts.



Lily then asked us to take out our homework assignments, which consisted of 8" x 8" pattern swatches along with photocopies of said swatches, so that the patterning portion of the program could get underway. We used the templates in the handouts to figure out how to modify a pattern repeat to accommodate a neckline...



and an armhole...



Pretty cool, eh?



Finally she showed us how to create interior garment shaping, using shell stitch as an example, by working up a swatch in class.



You can really see the shaping when the swatch is folded in half...



I have to say though that the best aspect of the entire class for me was how Lily described the act of decreasing ("popping a zit") and increasing ("growing a tumor"). Really. How much do you love that terminology?

After class I met up with Mom and Lena for lunch at the Red Arrow...



They make Twinkies from scratch at this dining establishment! I think that this is my new favorite restaurant.

Anyway, after finishing lunch we went back to the hotel for our second and last class. Mom, Lena and I took this one together, Tunisian Crochet with Darla Fanton. OMG, I love this technique! I cannot believe I didn't get my Tunisian hook on sooner! Lookie my little swatchie...



I think that Mom and Lena enjoyed the class too. Lena looks completely enthralled, no?



If you ever get a chance to take a class from Darla, we three Linoleum's highly recommend it. Darla is a wonderfully supportive teacher.

After class we made our way to the marketplace where Lena suckered me into buying her copious hanks of Koigu, Mom bought some hand-painted merino and I indulged in a small truck load of Habu fibers.



Stay tuned! More to come!

15 comments:

Susan Schwake said...

oh my goodness. now i finally am home, reading your blog entry and there it is - the red arrow.
you are too hip for words my dear.
and to think, i thought you wouldn't find the great place (only one) in manchland. there ya go.
see you tomorrow!!!!
wheeeeee!

Deneen said...

I am envious. I own that book too, but seeing your templates and stuff makes me jealous.

Lena is lucky to have a mom to buy her Koigu!

shula said...

Twinkies from scratch.

I am awed by the wonder of it.

StarKnits said...

OH man it sounds like you're haveing a great tme! i'm so green with envy! i will have to go next time. you've convinced me.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous you got to go to this convention! It's not that far from where I live, but I had to miss it due to visiting out-of-town relatives this week. I would have loved to take that Lily Chin class though. Thanks for sharing!

SAM said...

OK, now I know I should have taken Lily's class. Oh well, I learned a lot and there is always next year! I am so jealous about the restaurant - did you have to drive? Again, there is always next year.

Batty said...

I love Lily! I bought her book even though most of the stuff in it is way beyond my crochet skills, and I keep looking at it every time I get frustrated. She is just so gifted.

Looks like a great class. Have fun!

Pam said...

I agree Lily is awesome, I took a mini class at the Knit Out/Crochet event in Minnesota and she rocks! Her tips and tricks are right on the money.

maryse said...

i wish i had planned on going to this convention. i was always under the impression though that you had to be in the biz to be allowed to go. hmmm.

and i'd like to see lena's koigu. please lena, show us the koigu.

MBT said...

I can't believe you are blogging the show already - it was all I could do to stumble through the whole thing, let alone write a coherent blog post!

Which is why I only have two and a half readers, I suppose.

I never got to say goodbye, so goodbye - lovely to meet you and the family!

MBT

Ellen Bloom said...

Twinkies from scratch would make the entire trip worthwhile for me!

OK....next time I see you, bring your Tunisian crochet gear! I inherited a few of these hooks from my mother-in-law's stash...need to learn how to use 'em!!!!

Madge said...

Home made Twinkies?! Ooh, the awesomeness. (I've just added the Red Arrow to my Places to Visit Before I Die list.)

Sounds like a great trip so far! :D

Vashti Braha said...

Yeah, like MBT, I can manage commenting on others' blogs but I think I have to sleep through another day before I can post on my own! And like MBT I wish I could have said goodbye--REALLY missed you at the fashion show. And I know you would have liked my "Victorian Chaps".

mj said...

I love Lily chin, too!!! I took a crochet quick tips from her a couple of years ago and thought she was absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing the photos of her ideas. It's amazing how much sense it makes.

Twinkies from scratch? Really?

Anonymous said...

HELP! Could you pleeease update your posting to include the stitch pattern you used for your Lily Chin class? I am jealous that you could take that class, but I have some yarn that is screaming for the stitch pattern you used in your homework!