Friday, July 20, 2007

Jackson Hole, WY

I'm back from trip no. 2 of week of travel no. 2.

I am spent.

Last week's travel was on behalf of the cube farm. The trip was meant to be a retreat so effectively half work/half fun stuff. Fortunately it ended up being just that.

My little band of global MD's flew into the absolutely stunning locale of Jackson Hole, Wyoming on Tuesday, bringing our retreat participant count to 10 dudes and moi. I have worked with this group for about 7 years now and I know each of them quite well, therefore being the only female in the gang was not an issue. The guys always treat me with respect and never fail make me feel included, which is good because I can make their individual working lives very unpleasant if I wanted to.

Fear factor, it's a good thing.

Anyhoo, everyone arrived at the resort around noon on day no. 1. We launched into a very a productive meeting accompanied by a nice lunch overlooking the ski slopes.



Our evening was spent dining on the resort's patio.



Day no. 2 included a short meeting in the a.m. followed by white water rafting on the Snake River. I wish that I had pics to share but I haven't had them developed yet. Anyway, here's a nice one of my river hair...



After getting cleaned up and having a final meeting in the bar of the resort, we all headed over to the Million Dollar Cowboy Steakhouse for dinner. Now, I haven't eaten red meat in a few months (part of my newly found health nuttiness), but I did indulge in a petite filet while at dinner. It was definitely tasty, but I'm happy to be back on my chicken and fish regimen now. After the conclusion of our meat-fest we walked over to the rodeo for some local color.

The group encountered this guy on the way...



This was my first time at the rodeo, but I settled in with an appropriate beverage and watched the show.





The sky that evening was magical...



Our little example of corporate culture really enjoyed the evening. Even our overseas participants (one hailing from Paris, the other from Tokyo) told me they loved it.

Our return to the resort saw most of the group retire for the evening. Some of us decided to proceed to the Mangy Moose Saloon for a nightcap where we were serenaded by this band...



Actually, I really liked them. So much so that I even bought their CD. Their style is rock infused with African rhythms. Definitely my type o' tunes.

Day no. 3 began on a series of small boats for a three hour fly-fishing excursion on the Snake River. This time I was able to take a few pics with my digital camera...





I didn't catch anything, but it was a great experience being on the river the entire morning nonetheless. Actually fishing has the same effect on my psyche as crocheting and knitting, without the hand pain that is. There could be a bit of fly-tying in my future...

Lastly, a few of us had the afternoon to kill before our flights out. We decided to ride the gondola up the mountain for a fantastic view of the landscape.







All in all, not a bad way to spend a work week!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip. I'm not so interested in the white water stuff, but the fly fishing is right up my alley! Glad you got some rest.

Carol said...

Welcome back! Looks like a great time :)

Anonymous said...

Geez, that's great! We get to spend our (day long) work retreats in each others houses.

Susan Schwake said...

well, that looked like fun!
getting ready to ship your doggie this week. good thing you snapped it up when you did. the other two are going as well and the two big sculptures in the window went yesterday!
gasp. i need a break.
;-)
s

Ms Knits said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

That's funny. My boss just got back from a week near there. Closer to Casper I believe, but still the same state.

maryse said...

it's no surprise to me that your foreign participants particularly got a kick out of the retreat. they got a taste of the romanticized Wild West. i know that the french have a bit of an obsession with the wild west and cowboys ...

Heather Cox said...

Oooh Jackson, love that place, glad you had fun!

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

That looks rather nice. I can't believe CubeFarm sent you there on their dime!

Sus said...

Great pics -- glad you had a good trip!

I just got my new Craft: Magazine and I spy your bacon wrap! Coolio! Congrats!