Saturday, November 26, 2005

Scorpion Queen

My best friend Bea is a Scorpio through and through. Now seeing as my dear girlfriend recently turned the big 4-0, I wanted her to ring in this milestone with a very special Monster Crochet creation. With this knowledge under my belt, I set out to crochet this um, err...Darling creature? No...Um...Dazzling sensation? Well, maybe. Ahhh, I know! I set out to crochet this Disarming invention for her to celebrate her birth in style!

Enter a pet suitable for any Scorpion Queen!



Have you ever designed something that just came out perfectly from inception to final product? Well, to my surprise this was the case while working up the scorpion. My hands were channeling each and every thought from my brain into my hook and yarn. I didn't frog any part of this piece. Not once! *Patting myself on the back*



This baby is made from hand-dyed wool sock yarn that I bought from an eBay auction some months ago and a size C hook. I used cotton thread (DMC perle cotton size 8) for the eyeball and one of my small steel hooks (size 00 I believe). I worked from photographs to get the shape as close as possible to an actual scorpion. My version, however, is a lot larger than an actual scorpion (about 13 inches in length with stinger curled up).

This crocheted creature was the hit of the party and I now have requests from an untold number of my friends who want me to crochet their astrological signs for them going forward. I'm going to need more wool...

Copyright 2005 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

26 comments:

Celeste said...

He came out TERIFFIC! Great work! You really should make all the signs. . . and then maybe do what Roxycraft did, and bundle the patterns! Your ideas are really wonderful :)

hi, i'm natalie said...

Oh man, that is so fabulously cool. He/It? looks great~!

I'll be waiting for you to do the rest - can't wait to see how Leo turns out!!

vicki said...

regina it came out awesome. girl you amaze me with your creations. i love how it turned out hugggs

Vicky aka Stichr said...

And when you have created these designs are you going to have a pattern for others? hint hint...amazing, simply amazing.
BTW...what is the yarn you used on the Granny Cranny? it's driving me crazy, I love the shine-y-ness!

Squishybear said...

HA! That is great. I'm a scorpion and I would love it too.

Just recently I was trying to graph a scorpion into a scarf but I had to frog it because it was just looking strange. I guess the graph was too small for it to look right. Maybe I should try a pillow instead hahaha :-P

As always great job, I just love your funky creatures. ;)

stuffed said...

Mad love. I so want to take this scorpion and chase people around the room with it.

Nancy said...

Gemini must, must MUST be two redhaired twins!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!!! What a great idea.

Micky said...

You know that greatness is appreciated by everyone. And to have one of your creations would be the icing on the cake for anyone's collection. Another great creation!
:)

Soulknitting said...

Being a Scorpio myself, I just think the 'Scorpion Queen' is wonderful!!! Hehhehhhehhhe

Anonymous said...

That is FANTASTIC! I love scorpions (although not a Scorpio). Really cool design!

Anonymous said...

Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing. Very unthreatening colours - you could almost be fooled into stroking this scorpion.

Kimberly said...

Yay! Your scorpion is magnificent! Kudos once again for a wonderful creation!

~drew emborsky~ said...

She's wonderful like you! =)

Anonymous said...

It's awesome.

Michelle said...

Oh man. You are some kind of evil crochet genius.

I thought of another series you might like. George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's fantasy, but it's fantasy for grownups. There's incest and murder just in the first few chapters. And just when you get attached to a character, he kills 'em off. Un. Put. Downable.

Jessica said...

Oh, she is beautiful!

Heather Cox said...

The scorp and the granny are amazing!

kath red said...

love it you clever duck. what a good friend you are.

Crafty Andy said...

As always Regina your art is excelent. You have that special scorpion touch, few people dare to touch. They coloring is fantastic.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

First I gotta mention that I crack myself up....that said...

Pieces...2 fish right? I pictured 2 flounder {?}, the flat, bottom hugging fish with the one eye on top....

Need i say more????

Anonymous said...

totally amazed!
this is great

The Bookworm said...

wow, you are my hero. seriously, I love your work, never seen anything like it!

Sheila said...

Nice to see that some things haven't changed! Love your creations and sense of humor! ~Sheila

Heather said...

while searching onm the crawling eye movie, i found your site!
i love the scorpions! do you have a pattern for sale?