Sunday, August 12, 2007

Lost in Conflagration

No, not really.

However, well over a year ago I began a handmade book with said title and in an effort to tackle my WIPs, crochet, knit and otherwise, I unearthed the box from the closet containing this little art piece with the hopes that I could actually attempt to work on it again.

Beginning at the beginning, I came up with the idea for this book after making this Chinese dragon inspired puppet from my felt scraps...



I sewed this guy entirely by hand and, oh, embellished him with a bit of embroidery too.



After finishing the dragon I thought I would create a cast of characters to accompany him. Having always been a fan of shadow puppet theater I assembled a small army of these guys...



I figured the dragon would benefit from having a few friends into the martial arts. I even embellished each of these flat guys with a bit of thread...



After having made of these puppets I thought it might be cool to detail these characters' adventures in an artist book. So, I busted out my paint, brushes, plethora of collage materials and got started. Thus far, I've only completed two pages.

For page one I painted an acrylic likeness of my dragon and placed him atop a composition made up of more paint and collaged ephemera (including my LadyLinoleum avatar, which by the way is a Photoshopped pic of me when my coif was much shorter).



In addition to paint and collage, I also utilized sewing as an element on this page. I really like sewn paper for it is a reminder to me of book-making processes past. In addition, I attached the painted dragon's head to his painted body with a small brad (see the center of his mouth) further alluding to his puppet origins.



My head on a spike...



Page two consists of more paint, collage and more Photoshoppery...





I began painting the ground for page three this morning. I don't know what's in store for the rest of this tome, but I can tell you that I'm enjoying the process of working with these materials, and anyway, I need to give my hands a rest from holding hooks and needles.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Copyright 2007 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

14 comments:

Jen said...

I can't wait to see the whole thing! Very neat project! I love handmade books, too :-D

Batty said...

That's just brilliant! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ellen Bloom said...

Oh yeah! Collage and paint....one of my favorite combos. LOVE the idea of adding embroidery to the paper.

You go, Girl!

Red Rocket said...

Wonderful idea. The puppets are just beautifully done.

Have you ever heard of the Monkey King? A Chinese superhero, of sorts. He seems like a shoo-in to your army of puppets.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazingly talented artist! Those years in art school certainly weren't wasted, because your work has such a professional quality to it.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

LOVE the dragon puppet. You know I'm all about the dragons. The book looks like it's gonna be fantastic. And also? The avatar of you looks like one of Robert Palmer girls.

Anonymous said...

I always thought your avatar was an Andy Warhol of Isabella Rosellini! And your projects are always gorgeous, too. Fun to see what you're making!

Nano said...

How fabulous is that? Love all of the mixed media. You must keep updating on the progress.

DixieRedHead said...

brilliant!

Exactly the word I was looking for! As always your work is stunning!

Sally said...

Can I spend a day inside your head? Pleeeeease? It's got to be so interesting and colorful!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I feel like I'm watching Diva Does Reading Rainbow.

Kate said...

Wow--I'm so impressed by your ability to be creative in 3D and 2D! That is a beautiful book--and I love the head on a spike.

Madge said...

LOVE. That's what I feel about this project. Dragon is fantabulous!

The last handmade book I made was years ago...and dedicated to Elvis. Prosaic, but fun to do.

Can't wait to see what's on page 3....

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I love all the pices, and how different they are from each other.