Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

Winged Thing

In the last five weeks I have been to New York twice and London once. Needless to say, all of this travel has complicated an already complex lifestyle and unfortunately it has also had a negative impact on my ability to knit, crochet, weave, spin, dye (haven't stoked up the dye pot in ages), sew, DESIGN and blog. I mean let's face it, my life has undergone the ultimate sea change: still divorcing (almost a two year process at this point); lost my home earlier this year, currently residing in a space the size of a milk crate; job responsibilities growing faster than I can keep up with (hence the constant travel); daughter on the verge of adulthood, squawking at me constantly; and there is always a silver lining...I find myself in an affair of the heart with an amazing man. Needless to say, keeping up with the tidal wave that is my life can be a bit challenging and trying to be creative despite these many perplexities has been a Sisyphean task.

Nevertheless, I am creating, albeit slowly and on a much smaller scale than in previous years, but create I continue to do. I haven't started much of anything new in the last several months for I am a creature of discipline if nothing else. As such, I am making a concerted effort to finish anything and everything that became stuck in stasis due to the great life upheaval of 2009-10. I make progress on these myriad WIPs while crisscrossing the country (the globe) in a flying tube, sitting in those ubiquitous vinyl seats gathered around airport gates, on my 60 minute lunch hours where yarn and not food has become the ultimate focus and if I'm awake enough to tackle anything else at the end of a workday, while sitting in my overstuffed chair in front of the television as I try desperately to watch all of the previously recorded programming on my DVR. Making has taken a backseat to moving at this point.

Now, I am nothing if not adaptable. I have gone through similar periods in my life where the act of making/creating was threatened by the stress of my daily responsibilities. However, making/creating is a very powerful force in my world and while it's daily importance has lessened to a certain degree as life happens, it has not disappeared completely. Further, I'm positive that my creative spirit will endure the current constraints as well as those that may occur in the future as I am an artist at the core of my being. Always have been. Always will be. I will make things because this is who I am. This is what I do. I just need to figure out how to navigate the current landscape and adapt my process accordingly. Not always easy to do, but definitely attainable.

So, in working through my current conundrum, I've come up with a few solutions that I will be actively pursuing going forward:

  1. Finish all outstanding WIPs. Getting through these projects serves as a metaphor for closing the door on the past and readying myself for the future, thereby allowing me a clean slate to begin new work.
  2. Notation, notation, notation. Time for me to begin recording my ideas and conceptions in a journal/notebook again. This has been a traditional part of my process that I have allowed to lapse over the last year. Time to dig out my notebook and return it to its proper place in my purse. Never leave home without my "spell book" and quill!
  3. Smaller, lighter, faster. Size and portability are key when one is trying to create while trapped in a tube. I will try to fit all projects and accoutrement into the same carry-on size bag for every trip. Not only does this serve to simplify my packing, but it makes the project wrangling in a small space headache-free.
  4. LadyLinoleum has a laptop and will promise to use it. Blogging IS possible to do from a big fluffy hotel bed while inhaling room service, at least this is what I'm told.
So peeps, you will be seeing quite a few changes 'round this here bloggy over the next several months, but I do promise that your Lady of the Linoleum will still attempt to entertain you with a cadre of smaller crazy creations, one-off patterns here and there, a bit of humor and wisdom as she sees fit and hopefully, myriad on-the-road crafting tips! As always, I thank you all for your continued comments, emails and support. Literally, you all are THE ONLY REASON that I'm still taking up residence in cyberspace. Big hugs all around!

Stay tuned kids!

14 comments:

Micky said...

Just do what's best for you and we'll be here when you can tell us of your adventures.
:)

crazymotheringchick said...

I have to admit that the part of this blog I find most exciting is when you say you are in an 'affair of the heart'. How wonderful is that. Congratulations on finding a special someone.

Sus said...

I hope getting back into the crafting swing gives you some peace and energy. It's like a meditation, sometimes, for summoning the higher power and finding center. Best to you, LL, and I second Micky and Crazy!

S. Chaffee said...

What fantastic news! I'll be eagerly anticipating your next post. Thanks for the update and I hope all continues to move forward in your life. Loves.

The Shrone said...

Whether you blog or tweet or status update, we Shrones will always be in touch! (Though I do enjoy your blog posts more than the other forms.)

Deirdre said...

Hi there! I just discovered your blog recently and really enjoy it. I hope you continue it:) Back on Nov 4 I bought Holiday Pie-rets on paypal but haven't received them yet. I hope this it the appropriate place to leave my email for you. I hope to make a pie-ret for the holiday!
deirdrestorm@msn.com

LadyLinoleum said...

Deirdre, just sent you the pattern! It is from my ladylinoleum at hotmail dot com account. Please check your junk mail if you do not have it in your inbox. Thank you!

PoetessWug said...

Hi, I'm a new follower. I crochet profusely too. I saw your Autumnal Diamond Shawl and just knew your blog was one I'd like to keep track of...from now forward! :-)

Kelly said...

I'm so happy for you re the affair of the heart. New love is so exciting! I hope your daughter soon stops the squawking. In my experience, it usually happens at about age 19. Sorry.

Unknown said...

I purchased the bacon wrap chart on the 9th and still haven't received it (this is my second comment post about this). Email is amoeba15@gmail.com

LadyLinoleum said...

xamoeba15x - just sent you the pattern. Didn't see the first comment. Must be on an older post??? Sorry for the delay!

Rockstarjoker said...

Long time reader/lurker but (I think) first time commenter.

I love your blog and look forward to the changes a head for you.

Your ability to create even in the most frustrating of circumstances is inspiring!

Heather Woollove said...

...just found your blog tonight, and I have to say that I think you are fearless and amazing and...
well..."go you!!"!!
I divorced many years ago now, and must say that it was a difficult and busy time, and I'm not sure I 'created' as much as I should have during that period.
Good luck with everything!!
Big hugs--

Opatija Ferienwohnungen said...

a good changes....