Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Trolling for Yarn

Before hearing back from the publisher about whether my design(s) would be accepted or shunned for their new crochet tome, I contacted Rio de la Plata Yarns (creators of the “heated coals” wool that I used for the Mixed Grill Wrap) to see if they would perhaps like to sponsor little ole me should I, in fact, be selected as one of the designers for said text. I know, jumping the gun. Whatever. Call me an opportunist, but the thought of acquiring free yarn is like winning the lottery. Okay, not really, but you get the picture. Anyway, aside from the occasional fluffy yarn-y goodness type of ROAK that I receive from various blogging buds, I am usually pulling out the wallet to get my fiber-crack fix. Now, this little factoid doesn’t prevent me from enhancing my stash in any way. Oh no! I spend lots of dinero on yarn. LadyLinoleum is always fiber-filled. I digress.

At any rate, a potential publishing deal is definitely opportunity loudly wrapping at my door. So, I emailed the guys at Rio de la Plata, inquiring as to their interest in sponsorship, and was met with a, “Sure, c’mon down and pick up what you need!” Fortunately for me, the offices of Rio de la Plata are on the Westside, my digs. Easy to get to during one’s cube farm lunch hour.

Let me backup a bit here. Some of you may not know this about me, but I have perfected the art of yarn shopping on my lunch hour. Oh yes, I can get to and from any number of yarn establishments in West Los Angeles, Santa Monica or Culver City from my office in Century City in just under an hour, making my lunch hours calorie free yet full of fiber! Now those expeditions require me to shell out lots and lots of clams for said wooly wares, which by the way doesn’t stop me from taking this type-o-lunch several (and I mean numerous) times per month. Hey, my job sucks. Yarn shopping during my lunch hour is like a huge dose of fluffy furry vicodin for my poor, unfortunate, overworked soul. I’m just saying.

Anyhoo, this lunch hour yarn-run was altogether different. This time I was going to pick up freebies and I was about to find out the location of a font of yarn goodness. Peeps, it just doesn’t get much better than this. Or does it? Read on…

So, I went downstairs to pick up the other known fiber-crack addict in the office, my creative cohort Briana, to accompany me on said yarn jaunt. We drove pedal-to-the-metal to a rather strange looking late 90’s po-mo, cinder block/multicolored concrete, industrial knock-off style commercial/residential complex on the Western edges of the City of Santa Monica where upon entry we were ushered through a maze of hallways, flights of stairs, exposed air ducts, myriad glass block and buffed concrete floors by a wide-eyed, fifty-something, gregarious, very honey-blonded, slightly Stepfordesque receptionist to the sliding front door that marked the entrance to the offices of my new yarn pimp. The purple offices of my new yarn pimp. With gold sofas. And glass top tables. No, I am not kidding. Briana was speechless. I, on the other hand, am quite comfortable in most environments even the purple, gold, glass variety and have been known to entertain myself in conversation with walls, even if they are a lovely shade of electric plum. And anyway, I was a woman on a mission. A free yarn mission to be exact. I would not be deterred, grape-ade walls or no.

Enter the yarn dudes. Two very cordial men of the strand, so to speak. Actually, only Mauricio (fearless leader of the Rio de la Plata empire I believe) spoke to us at length. The other yarn dude just stuck his hand up in the air in greeting then continued to tap away at his keyboard pretending that we didn’t pierce a hole in his purple-y mist. Okay by me.

After a couple of minutes of conversation with Mauricio he informed me that they are looking for a local designer to help them promote their threads. Only, get this, they want someone who has an unusual sensibility. Briana assured the nice yarn boys that I, in fact, am a designer with a very unusual sensibility. So, I gave them my website addy, Mauricio bagged up my wondrous wool and we said we’d keep in touch.

I haven’t heard from him.

Mr. Mauricio may be beyond horrified that I turned his luxurious fluffdom into hot coals. Hey, he said he was looking for unusual! Do you think he may have been shocked by weenie links and intarsia meat on a grill???

20 comments:

Bri Ana said...

Oh man-o-man: it was like the gates of yarn heaven - only as described by Jay McInerney.

Deneen said...

"Unusual Sensibility" doesn't even begin to describe you!

~drew emborsky~ said...

I didn't think any dude in LA would be shocked by weeny links, would they?

Congrats!! Woo hoo!! Hope you hear from them soon!!

Heather Cox said...

Hope you hear soon too, how could they possibly resist? :)

Ellen Bloom said...

Just give the Rio yarn guys a chance to internalize and digest your incredible designs, Honey! when they see all of the comments and kudos you've received, they'll be amazed. Maybe the next time you visit, you should bring (or wear) samples of your work. Don't expect a fast return call....digesting all that fiber takes some time. Enjoy the yarn and bring samples to SnB on Thursday so we can all drool!!!

Jessica said...

How could anyone not think you have an unusual sensibility? At least you can probably be assured of hearing from them one way or another eventually!

noricum said...

Perhaps they lost your information? Or didn't realize you'd create something so fast? Have you contacted them again?

Anonymous said...

heh. unusual sensibilites, they don't even know what that means, I'm guessing. I hope you hear from them and have many a fruitfull treks through their purple halls.

Anonymous said...

They are missing a golden opportunity to have you help them promote their yarn (I almost typed "yearn" - heh)

Crafty Andy said...

I shop like you do and people wonder how in the world I had time to do all that. I am all for free yarn.

NIce seeing that you are busy, busy , busy.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

How can you get to a yarn store and back in under an hour?! I can't even get out of the parking garage!!!

"unusual sensibility". Heh. Talk about an understatement!

Anonymous said...

You are a true Angeleno! Mr. Mauricio should be honored - HONORED - I say - to have anything made by you from his yarn. And from your description of his office, they don't seem to have a problem with "unusual sensibility".

Susan Schwake said...

I don't think that your Unusual sensiblity should put them off! They will embrace their embroiled creative side once they see the magic you make!
You are truly one of a kind girly!
This is very exciting... can't wait for chapter two!

Unknown said...

I hope you hear back from them. They will love all your designs. Keeping hooks crossed that you will.

Ms Knits said...

How exciting is that? WOW, free fiber!
You will hear back from them. Your art is fantastic! How could they resist?

Ellen Bloom said...

16th and Broadway! I just looked up the address of the Rio offices...that's right down the block from MY office!!!! I didn't realize I was so close to greatness!

Shell said...

"making my lunch hours calorie free yet full of fiber!"

*SNORT*
I love it.

Anonymous said...

You define the words "unusual sensibility"! Or, as I'd like to call it, "sheer fabulousness".

Pam said...

I loved reading this, I was at the edge of my seat thinking they're going to sign a contract with you right there on the spot...I think your future is very bright, sometimes things take a bit to come to light. -Pam

Miri Mack said...

Too funny! You are simply a crochet goddess. I have all the faith in the world that they will be contacting you soon.