Monday, November 16, 2009

Jenny Lee's Quilt

Several months ago, my girl, Jenna, had a brilliant (read "cracked") idea, which she posed to me during our last set of quilting classes at the Sewing Arts Center, while I was under the influence of a divorce induced stooper I might add. This, err, clever conception of hers surrounded our mutual friend, Jenny Lee, and her upcoming nuptials in October. Oh yes, dear reader, you can guess what's coming next...Jenna went on to say that seeing as how we have become such expert quilters (Can you all say coercion?), having recently completed one quilt apiece (you read that correctly...one...quilt...a...piece), that she thought it a splendid idea that we show Jenny just how much we adore her (and her betrothed of course) by making the couple a wedding quilt, a queen size wedding quilt that is. I believe I just stared at her, deer-in-the-headlights like, drool dripping from the corner of my mouth, responding somewhat unintelligibly, "Uh, okay."

Despite my, err, reservations about our collective abilities to tackle such a gigantor project, in hindsight I'm happy to report that Jenna's idea was indeed a masterful one. Not only did we make an awesome heirloom for our beloved Jenny and her man, but Jenna and I found out that we make a pretty darn good quilting team. Before going into the gory details, feast your eyes on the results of our laborious journey...



Oh, and yeah, that would be the Double Irish Chain quilt pattern...I know, we're nuts.

Here are some detail shots...







Now for the gory quilting details!

As it turns out, I rather enjoy cutting PERFECT strips of fabric over and over and over again. Actually, it's kinda meditative. Jenna, on the other hand, doesn't mind chain piecing strip after strip after bloody strip. Oh and pressing? We both are good with a steaming hot iron. Go figure! After having the strips assembled, I sub-cut 'em for more assemblage. This time we both took to our machines for an anal exercise of matching up corners and seams. Once the individual blocks were assembled we both laid them out on the floor and simultaneously gasped at the size of the behemoth we were putting together. I then went back to my machine to assemble the top. Jenna was on iron duty at that point. Once assembled, we tag-teamed the borders and backing, readying ourselves for the homestretch, pinning the layers. Quilt pinned, it was time for Jenna to machine quilt the top (not my favorite portion of the program) and she did a wonderful job I might add. Top quilted, I attached the binding around the entire front edge with my machine. We then put an end to our co-quilting journey by spending a week's worth of lunch hours hold up in one of the cube farm's conference rooms, tacking down the binding to the back of the quilt with needles, thread, thimbles and thousands of hand sewn blind stitches.

Whew, makes me tired just writing all of that! But I gotta tell ya all, it was so worth it. As not only did I have the privilege of spending myriad Sundays in craft with Jenna, but I was able to witness the joy on Jenny's face when we presented her with her gift...



It just doesn't get much better than that...

14 comments:

naomi said...

Beautiful quilt !!! What a fantastic gift for all involved.

jenna! said...

We're so fabulous, its painful to behold.

Megalion said...

Such an amazing story and quilt!

It's beautiful!

Julie said...

This is amazing and beautiful!! Thanks for sharing it with the world! :)

Tatertots said...

Three words: I'M NOT WORTHY! I am lucky to be the recipient of this labour of love. I appreciate all the blood, sweat, tears, thread, cutting, hand sewing, internal cursing, measuring, binding, and love that went into this quilt!

Natalie said...

Awesome possum. What a gift of love! You two rocked the quilt.

Anonymous said...

You chicks rock! Thank you thank you thank you. We really appreciate it. -RKP

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I understood very little of what you painstakingly explained, but I can say, BEAUTIFUL QUILT!!! I've seen them, I am amazed that people actually make them, and yours is gorgeous. Jenny is a lucky dawg, on a lot of levels. :) HUZZAH!

Shell said...

I love the quilt, the fabric and probably the expressions on the co-workers faces if they managed to get a glimpse at the project. You are as always an inspiration to me and my art/craft.

Also my flock says "chirp".

Caroline B said...

Stunning! What a wonderful gift to receive.

Miranda said...

Oh!Very Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

性愛影片.ing視訊聊天室.免費視訊美女色美眉部落格.視訊聊天室ggoo.免費影片下載85cc.援交女sex movie免費 a 片.sex520影片免費觀賞.6k情人網情色視訊.成人情色 視訊21sex.彩虹頻道免費影片卡通aa片.視訊辣妹找援交.百分百成人圖片avdvd.本土自拍影片qq 美美色網漫畫.qq 美美色網漫畫.85cc免費影片辣妹自拍圖.tw 18 net.777美女dvd無碼av女優.777視訊美女.無碼avdvd女優.情色18 禁sex520免費a長片.aaaaa片俱樂部.情色sex520.免費線上 aa 片試看85CC.sex520-視訊.080情人網免費av影片.微風成人av論壇.蒼井空aa免費影片.成人自拍色情avdvd.18成人色情.視訊0204movie免費影片.dudu嘟嘟成人網.性愛情慾免費性愛avdvd影片.免費av自拍影片成人 情色.寶貝視訊色情自拍.成人自拍台灣大哥大美女.免費av成人圖片素人自拍18 成人.免費色情影片777成人區.色情dvd無碼影片av.85cc免費av影片.情色視訊85cc影城.080情人網美女 線上LIVE.一夜情性 情色視訊 美女.大眾論壇.亞洲東洋影片sexy girl,dvd.免費情色av影片.情色免費成人avdvd電影.sexy亞洲禁果影城.桃園援交yam交友.成人貼圖站色情av片.線上成人影片avdvd.情色avdvd貼片.成人情色視訊avdvd.a片線上試看85cc.hi5 tv.北台灣視訊援交影片.av免費視訊辣妹.18-美女交友.34c免費線上視訊直播 辣妹喔.av成人圖片比基尼辣妹影片.080視訊網愛聊天室.視訊-交友ggo.85cc免費視訊辣妹脫衣秀

Dk's Wife said...

Very nice! I love it :)

Batty said...

That's an incredible quilt! What a wonderful gift!