Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Cheerleader

After having left a comment on virtual pal’s blog the other day where I openly shared my admiration for my offspring’s creative endeavors as a response to her lovely post detailing her own offspring’s visionary invention, I was met with a nefarious comment from one of pal’s readers on this here bloggy regarding (i) the frightening appearance of my latest crocheted meat product, and (ii) the inappropriateness of my overzealous parental boasting which, in her opinion, resulted in "upstaging" pal’s daughter’s accomplishments on pal’s blog. I didn’t know how to respond at the time (not that I could respond, because there was no return email address), but I do now...

I’ve been called a lot of things during my stay on the planet. Some of those things haven’t always been pleasant. Oh, and reviews of my artwork? Well, those haven’t always been filled with stars, happy faces and A-plus-pluses either. Some of those less-than-rave reviews were in print too. Needless to say, I’m a veteran recipient of bad cheer and I believe I can respond to this commenter’s indictments thusly…

Crocheted bacon scary?

Sure, I’ll give you that.

Proud mom?

Absolutely.

Prideful mom who feels the need to prop up my child at the expense of another’s child?

Absolutely not!

…For I love children and their insatiable conjuring of thaumaturgic masterpieces more than I love to crochet and knit meat products, and that’s sayin’ something…Hel-lo? Former art professor here, who shepherded more individuals, large and small, through personal creative discoveries than I can shake a stick at, for lack of a better metaphor. In other words, looking for an artsy craftsy cheerleader? I’m your Lady.

I’m also a Lady who comes from a long line of artsy craftsy cheerleaders. Well, maybe not a long line, but definitely a trapezoidal bunch of artsy craftsy harbingers of the holler. My father, the kingpin of the bunch, pencils at the ready, reams of paper stocked to the ceiling, instilling his creative mindset unto his progeny and proud as any father could have been of the rudimentary creations his preschool-aged daughters maniacally churned out, was an overflowing font of positive reinforcement, always gently prodding his children and well, pretty much everyone else around him, to dance precariously along the edge of the envelope. My maternal grandmother, while not the kingpin of the squad, was certainly the process pusher of the crew, making sewing machine, fabrics, thread, hooks, needles, an abundance yarn-y goodness as well as her generous guidance ever available. My maternal grandfather, the reluctant proponent on Team Ingenuity’s cheer squadron, constantly dismayed by his granddaughter’s flagrant use of his "man tools" would always, always exclaim with delight when finished product was paraded about made as a result of this girl using that guy’s "man tools"…and properly I might add. Finally, there is my mother, my biggest supporter and a helluva lot louder than I have ever been when it comes to acknowledging her children’s and grandchild’s accomplishments. I mean, the woman is starry-eyed when it comes to her offspring and her offspring’s offspring’s works of whimsy. It’s heredity, I tell you!

So yeah, I’m proud and I’m a loud and I’m sometimes misunderstood, but I live life richly and deeply, with a passion to create. I am also always, always supportive of creative exploits, whoever the progenitor happens to be.

Oh, and my pal? Not offended in the least.

Rant concluded.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asshattery abounds on these here internets. The very idea that by sharing in a proud parent moment with someone, you are upstaging them just tells me that some people are more needy than they are givey.

Screw 'em with a giant slab of acrylic bacon, I say! You and your offspring go on with your bad selves.

Gina said...

Kudos(the chocolate chip ones) to you ma'am. That was polite yet forceful. And I am sure if it didnt offend the pal. What is the other lady gripeing about. :)

StarKnits said...

what the heck is some people's problem?
i love your crafty creations. and shareing your children's creativity is a way to get to know people.. again i say what the heck.. come my way and share on my blog i'll enjoy it! and i'll join you in the cheerleading ... though i don't think you'd want me to wear the short skirt.....

Kelly said...

Wow, there are haters everywhere! I too boast of my offsprings crafty creations. What a @#$!! to suggest there was some underlying agenda!

I loved the bacon by the way and your daughter is loverly

natasha said...

amazing what cowardly hateful pieces of shite lurk about, eh? i fink you da best! and your offspring, as well. next time maybe the arsehole will post her damn name, huh?

Anonymous said...

OMG - Give me a break! We are all here to support one another and share bits of our lives. That's what makes the blog world a great place, not small minded nincompoops who feel the need to tear others down. You know, there are enough assholes in this world by far, but there will NEVER be enough cheerleaders. YOU GO GIRL!!!

lisa solomon said...

hmmm... in my humble opinion the only person's whose feelings need to be taken into consideration were your bloggy pal's and her child's - thus if they were kosher - so is your BACON [ha ha!!]

if i could do a italian mobster i'd tell you to forggeeettaboutit.

bravo to you for speaking your mind!

Sabra said...

Consider the source and ignore it, as my mother would say. Anyone who doesn't recognize the brilliance of your intarsia'd bacon has no worthwhile opinion on anything else! :-p

Jessica said...

You are one of the best cheerleaders I've met online and who wouldn't want to hear from you?!

And crocheted bacon should be scary!

Anonymous said...

Well said !
: )

Monique Marie Sauniere said...

Some people have no sense of humor nor do they see anything good in life. Sorry you came up against one of them.

Bacon wrap? Priceless! Gushing about one's offspring? C'mon over and let me tell you about my fabulous daughters...

I enjoy your blog immensely. Keep it up.

Jenn said...

I think it's awesome how supportive you are of your kiddo's creativity. Absolutely the best. And I am *sooo* impressed with just the fact that the idea of a bacon wrap came into existence. Just because I myself wouldn't wear it (I'd feel like a pudgy filet mignon...) I appreciate creativity in all forms. Creativity makes the world go 'round and keeps life from being boring as hell. Artsy-craftsy rules!

Ellen Bloom said...

Yeah! Hey! You're a great Mom! Lena is lucky to have you as her personal cheerleader! Hey! You're lucky that Lena still thinks you're cool enough to pal around with. I agree with Bellalinda, just ignore all the negative crap and the people that go with it. You don't need negative friends. WE ARE YOUR FRIENDS...always positive and uplifting and amazed at your ingenuity!!!!

Pam said...

Cheer on Regina.

Maggie The LadyHawk said...

Pshaw! I brag about my kids and grandkids all the time! And in my own mind my granddaughter IS the most beatiful child on the earth. I'm sure you understand that I am not saying anything against your daughter, because in YOUR mind she is the most beautiful child. We adults understnad this.

I've been know to say out loud how beautiful my Hailey is, so much so that when we were out one time, a woman told her "my, how pretty you are" to my granddaughter, to which she replied in a very matter-of-fact voice "I know!"

Bri Ana said...

Funny thing being is that said other blogger - the one who blog you commented on - not the one who left you the moronic comment - was not offended by your comment in the least. SHE (the intended) enjoyed and apperciated it.

I always say, insult me people, but do it well and with wit and chutzpa. And an email address.

Kellycat said...

You know something you just can't change the fact that some people are complete, uncaring idiots. That speak I might add without the knowledge or warmth of a child in their arms. If in fact the person in question had a child she would know what you were doing. My only child is 22 now, and I still talk, and brag about her artistic geniousness as a child. Then again she does take after a long line of artistic people just like your own family. It's always a light in your heart, and you melt to see your child take on the same love for art as yourself. BTW~ I think you should contact me quickly, I believe we are related. Our families sound identical. :) Keep on bragging till your blue!

Jerry & Maxy said...

Being away from blogville for a few days, I am late to this cheerabration! Holy canoli, people can be such over achieving dinkheads. And I don't mean you, Ms. Linolium.

Cheer on, Lady, cheer on!!! The world is littered with cynics and nay-sayers, so the banner wavers must make noise. Get out your kazoo and march on. Proudly!

Miri Mack said...

Some people think small and talk large.

There need to be more people in the world like you, Lady Linoleum. Shake those pompoms.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The nerve! Some people's unhappiness just spills all over the place! Clearly the woman is in another dimension that just doesn't appreciate bacon wraps or proud parent moments!

Wonderful comeback, not that you need any 'splaining to do. You're wonderful and witty. Pay no attention to the small minded woman behind the curtain.

Susan Schwake said...

without us cheerleaders,enthusiasts and rah rahers, those who are unsure of their work would be ripping it up and not producing...you are the best and you give so much.
kudos to you regina as always.
poo on the rest,
susan