Monday, July 31, 2006

As The Spinner Turns...

Despite preparation for Uncommon Threads and my myriad personal projects, I still find the time to collaborate with my fellow art chickadees on our game round robin. For those of you not up to speed on my foray into collaboration let me give you the Cliff Notes version...

Ten of my best buddies from grad school and beyond gather together each month to eat, drink and make much merriment while simultaneously engaged in a collaborative art project worked in round robin fashion, which results in a series of pieces that by the end of the project will have been touched or modified in some way by each chickadee participating in said project. Whew!
Anyway, this group (or some form of it thereof) has been making work together for about two and a half years. We began by creating a series of dolls and now we are throwing the dice onto the board, so to speak, by attempting to conjure a series of games. Yes, games. Not an easy task I might add, especially when trying to adhere to the most important rule of our current working paradigm that states all games must be playable.

Currently the group is early to mid-game. Meaning, each game has gone through at least two rounds and some have gone three to four rounds. Disparate round calculations can be attributed to the fact that some our current participants joined later than the others. However, by the end of this process everyone will have worked on every game, of this you can be sure.

Now onto the game evolutions for this month!

Let's start with moi. Why? Well, why not?

Anyway, I made the INSANE decision to double up on game-age last month. I know. What was I thinking???

Anyhoo, one of the games that I saddled meself with was our resident game of prophecy, which thus far consists of a teal velvet "board"...



a Gom Jabbar...



...and a few glass runes (don't have a pic).

Upon inspection, I decided to sew a few of my extra crocheted eyeballs to the board...



The gold eye shall henceforth be known as The Eye of Wisdom and the cat's eye-esque doohicky shall be considered The Eye of Prophecy.

Thank the lord-y I had extra crocheted eyeballs lying about! Betcha you haven't seen that statement written on many other blogs.

Moving right along...

The second game that accompanied me to my domicile last month sliced its game pieces right off the cow's belly!



Okay not really, but do those pieces not look like udders???

Before migrating to my pad, the udders got paint jobs. So, I used both their shapes and colors as my inspiration for the creation of starting places from felt. No board, just place markers for which to begin.

Stow yer judgments. I had TWO games to work on and these projects are hard! *whining ceased*



Now, let's take a look at a few other befores and afters!

The Vegetable Liberation Army Clue-esque type o' game (yeah, this is my "game starter") got nemesis cards...



The exquisite corpse type o' storytelling game received several new painted story elements...



Scavenger hunt teams now have arm bands...



Scavenger hunt before bands...



Memory game received a new duo of boxes...



Astro-turf game now has a variety of peeps for pieces...



Risk-esque adventure received board tattoos...



Mix and match extravaganza replete with parasitic bugs gained a friend in June Cleaver...



And finally a die for the multi-level brain-teaser...





With that, this concludes our current episode of As The Spinner Turns, but have no fear for there is definitely more to come.

13 comments:

dizzy von damn! said...

the udder thingies look really cool.

i'm impressed with all this artsiness... maybe i will join in next project after all.

Heather Cox said...

LOVE the prophecy game and yes those do look like udders, or jacked up Mickey Mouse hands. LOL

Anonymous said...

Good grief.....
amazing

JANNIKINZ said...

The 8th wonder of the world.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Holy crap. I can't understand what is going on, but I *love* the eyeballs. And the udders (WITH color).

Anonymous said...

Yep, super amazing. All of them.

Sus said...

A GOM JABBAR!!!! I love you more with every post. These projects are so cool. What a good idea to keep friendships strong and creative juices flowing at the same time.

Miri Mack said...

What a great idea! So many of my friends from grad school have drifted away.

Y'all are amazingly creative! Please do explain how you use the the gom jabbar in your game of prophecy!

Uccellina said...

Le wow.

LadyLinoleum said...

Thanks you guys! I love my girls too. They are just the best group of friends I could have asked for.

Now, with regard to the Gom Jabbar...I've no idea how that will work. We've not yet figured out it's role, but we've got a lot of rounds left and everything that hasn't been worked out during the process will get worked out in a final all day extravaganza. Before the work shows or in this case gets shown and played, all loose ends will be tied.

Gina said...

Wow! Facinating! Amazing stuff!

Yeah So said...

It's all a little confusing but perhaps I am just dumbfounded by your brilliant creativity.

On a side note, did you ever make patterns available for the crab and jellyfish? If so, I neeeeeeeed them. Name your price.

Anonymous said...

A Gom Jabbar was the poison weapon held to the neck of the one with his/her hand in the box (in 'Dune'); and said weapon would be used to kill the one that removed said hand too early from said box.
The name of said box? I dunno...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29#Synopsis