Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

As we launch into the holiday season I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for visiting me and your willingness to share your thoughts, anecdotes and life's melange with me. You're all amazingly creative and a source of endless inspiration for me.

Love you guys!

As for T-Day, I'm on stuffing and pie duty. This year I am churning out a large batch of my tried and true Pumpkin and Wild Mushroom stuffing, a new-to-me twist on traditional pumpkin pie, Pumpkin Mascarpone Pie (from November's issue of Bon Appetit), as well as a Linoleum family favorite, Cranberry Orange Pie...



Pretty and tasty!

Do yourself a favor and give this pie a try. It's tart and sweet and super easy!

Cranberry Orange Pie

Pie crust for two crust pie
3 1/2 c. fresh cranberries (about 1 pkg.)
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 tbs. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbs. orange juice (depending upon what's available at the grocery store, try substituting blood orange or tangerine juice)
2 tbs. minced or grated orange zest
2 tbs. melted butter

1 egg, lightly beaten
1 egg, lightly beaten with 2 tbs. heavy cream for glazing
granulated sugar of sprinkling

Prepare pastry, roll out half to line a 9" pie pan. Partially bake crust in 400 degree oven 10 - 15 minutes until almost done, but not completely browned. Keep pricking crust with fork as it puffs up. (I used pie weights to avert any pre-bake pietastrophes.) Cool pie shell about 15 minutes before filling.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine cranberries, sugar, flour, salt, orange juice, zest and melted butter. Toss to combine. Pour into cooled pie shell.

Use beaten egg if making lattice design for top crust. Roll out dough 1/16" thick, cut into 1/2" strips, moisten crust with egg and make lattice pattern over cranberries. (I love to weave dough peeps!)

Brush top of pastry with egg glaze and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbly, about 45 minutes longer.

Delicious!

Have a wonderful long weekend everyone!

13 comments:

Kiki said...

Looks YUM! Happy Thanksgiving Lady L!

noricum said...

I must try that recipe! Happy thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing your recipe, looks yummy!

Pam said...

Cranberry Orange pie sounds yummy! What a neat idea.

Miz K said...

Beautiful pie! Gobble gobble!

Madge said...

Hope you and your peeps had a simply fab turkey day.

Happy holidays!

naomi said...

mmmmmmmmm, the pie looks so yummy. I'm going to my sister's next Saturday nite, for a family game nite and I'm in charge of the "goodie" snack, me thinks it's going to be this pie !
Thanks

Anonymous said...

The pie looks yummy. I'm going to try that very soon.

I'd love to have the pumpkin wild mushroom stuffing recipe too! That sounds so awesome.

Batty said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

That pie looks delicious. Yum.

Ann Marie said...

Oh my goodness! I must try that pie. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us, it sounds delicious.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Anonymous said...

Looks good!
I want to say Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. You have brightened my life this year, and I hope your next year is brighter than last.
Sallyanne

Anonymous said...

I am declaring 2008 the year of the Pie! This looks like a scrumptious recipe to try!

Crafty Andy said...

Yum Yum. That pie looks interesting. Do you do delilvery !