Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tales from the Windy City

I’m back from Chicago!

I arrived last night after a very, very busy four days of work and play in the Windy City. Basically, I was exhausted from the trip and hit the sack immediately. I’m old now peeps! Two business trips in a month have wiped me out. So sad…

Anyway, my itinerary moved along as follows. I arrived at approximately 3:00 pm on Saturday. Waited around in baggage for what seemed an eternity. Yes, I am one of the few people who still checks her bag(s) as opposed to the rest of humanity, who attempt to bring as much cargo as possible on board the plane in order that they may shove said bags into as many overhead bins as possible. Really, it’s ridiculous how much crap people bring with them into the cabin of the aircraft.

Jeesh.

Sure, there is a risk that my bag may get lost in transit if I check it, but hey, I fly A LOT and I ALWAYS check a bag. Knock on my keyboard, but I’ve not lost a bag yet. Anyway, yeah, I do have to wait for my suitcase in baggage claim upon arrival, but I’ve grown used to it. No biggie. At least I can proudly embrace my status as a light user of the overhead bins.

Rant concluded.

After claiming my luggage I hit the cool, crisp Chicago late afternoon air to wait for my car, which would transport me to the Peninsula Hotel. Not a bad place to spend a few days, that’s for sure. Hey, if my company is making me travel then they need to make sure that my arse is comfy.

All made up…



Note: This mugshot is purely to satisfy a friendly criticism that I (i) rarely show my mug on my blog and (ii) if I do happen to display a pic of self it is cropped just below my eyes. Satisfied Jenna?

I was set to meet up with my girlfriends Shannon and Megan at a faboo restaurant called Custom House, where there was much eating, drinking and making of merriment. Our satisfying meal was followed by more, um, drinking, AND making of merriment at The Green Door Tavern until the wee hours of the morning...



Having awakened myself before noon on Sunday I pulled myself together for a bit of shopping on Michigan Avenue. I spent the afternoon alone, strolling around the shops, taking in the sites and enjoying the day. I rather savor spending time by myself and what better way to explore my new surroundings than alone and unhampered?

That evening I recovered my social self while joining Shannon for a Blackhawks game. What fun! And check out our seats...



Blackhawks won, to Shannon's dismay. The girl's a Red Wings fan.

Next two days were all about work, work, work and more food, food, food! Really, it's a wonder I didn't gain a bazillion pounds. On Monday I had lunch with a few co-workers at N9NE Steak House. Dinner that night at Mike Ditka's where they serve steaks the size of my head. And my head? Yeah, not so small. There is a reason I usually only photograph myself from the eyeballs up. Third and final food fest, I mean lunch, took place at 312 before I had to board another plane. I really hated to leave so soon. Definitely planning to return...ah, for a vacation next time 'round. Chicago is a town I need to revisit.

In addition to stuffing my face, I did manage to do a bit of embroidery while away. Check these babies out...





Not bad for a beginner eh?

No yarn store visits though. Next time for sure!

11 comments:

Deneen said...

I'm one of those who brings everything I can on the plane-I've had luggage lost three times in three years-two were connecting flights but one wasn't and it took two days for the damn bag to show up-lesson learned-I now pack enough clothes for two days for all three of us and take it on the plane.

The San Diego lost bag forced me to go to a semi formal wearing shorts (I had an hour after the plane landed to get there-)

Laurie Ann said...

Dang...You made me miss Chicago. And just look how purty you are!

shula said...

WHOAH!

Girl's got a face!

Unknown said...

woot Look at you all hot!

Yeah So said...

well looky looky at you! Kind of surprising since all I ever picture is that whited out avatar you have. A fiesty little redhead, who knew??!

Kimberly said...

I go back and forth on what I bring / don't bring on the plane. Usually its just the backpack/computer bag which has my crocheting materials and reading books in it.

Glad you had a good time in Chicago....I miss it! One day I will move back there!

Looking gorgeous there all spiffied up for a night on the town! =)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

never been on a plane...but I wouldn't want to try to smush too much in the overhead compartment.

Great looking rocket!!

Kare said...

You are so pretty!
And your embroidery is great. Now I want to do embroidery.

crallspace said...

Hey!!!

How've you been??!!

Chicago isn't terribly missed by me.

katerina said...

I just love your embroidery! You've done a great job!! It inspires me to give it a try.

Susan Schwake said...

darling, i SO need to have you get me in touch with your hairdresser. you ROCK!
gak. i am having a bad hair YEAR.