Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Portland: Day One

Portland was a blur. Jenna and I flew into this fair city to our north last Thursday evening and began a whirlwind three days of Knit and Crochet Show participation, meet-ups with friends, eating, shopping and general jaunting about town.

Friday morning began with a bit of breakfast, pretty standard hotel eats, and a short Max ride to the Oregon Convention Center for the Knit and Crochet Show where Jenna and I then parted ways. She went to go get magical with the mobius while I immersed myself in hairpin lace. Now, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, then you are probably aware that I am a sucker for process. Yep, I love to learn new techniques! So, when perusing the class listings for the Portland Knit and Crochet Show, I was immediately attracted to Jennifer Hansen's class and she did not disappoint!

The all day hairpin lace extravaganza was divided into two distinct parts: general technique in the morning and learning how to join the lace strips in the afternoon. It took me a while to get used to holding the loom and managing my yarn with one hand and working my hook with my remaining hand. Eventually, despite the trial and error, I did get into a groove and was churning out strips of lace faster than I originally expected. I still felt like a hairpin lace tard though.





After lunch, it was all about "the joins". As Jennifer explained, once you get the general technique of making hairpin lace down, the artistry happens when the strips are connected. She taught us several techniques beginning with the cable join. All joins were very interesting to work with and I was amazed by the variety of connections available. Also, Jennifer is a great teacher! If any of you ever have a chance to take this class at one of these shows, I highly recommend it. Hairpin lace is an awesome technique.

Intrigued? Go to Jennifer's website for more info and tutorials. Oh, you can buy her wooden hairpin lace looms there too...

After classes finished for the day, Jenna and I hightailed it back to the hotel for a meet and greet with one of my favorite bloggers on the planet...Jimbo!


Jimbo standing next to his latest and greatest hook, Diplohookticus.

This master of the hook and his lovely wife, Carol, whisked us away to their son's humble abode where we were wined and dined in style with their amazing family. Our evening runneth over with wonderful food, outstanding wines from the region, homegrown micro brews to make even the seasoned aficionado weep, not to mention great conversation and lots of laughter. I hated to leave! It was a special evening of very special people. And if this experience alone wasn't enough, Jim gifted me with a lovely rubescent hook...



It's stunning!

Jimbo, you're the best, bar none.

More to come...

15 comments:

Miz K said...

Love the pink! I'm especially looking forward to the continuing posts of your saga as Portland is currently in our top three US locations should we end up moving back stateside - keep the stories coming!

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about hairpin lace... I'm looking foward to seeing what it looks like off the loom!

Ellen Bloom said...

Sounds like you two had a fantastic time! I'm so "J"!!! LOVE that carved crochet hook.

Natalie said...

Wow, Jimbo is a hook making artiste! Can't wait to hear and see more about your fab trip.

Jimbo said...

Twas a real treat meeting you and Jenna. And thank YOU again for the Rib-eye!
Hope we can do that kinda thing again... maybe get Dippy to make something?

laura said...

I took a hairpin lace class this summer and the shop had the Stitch Diva patterns to go with it. It was fun. I haven't really done anything with it yet, but I'll get around to it one day. :)

Unknown said...

I am so jealous of you for getting to meet Jimbo and crew!!!!
Sounds like a great time!

Crafty Christina said...

I'd love ot meet Jimbo. I was fortunate enough to win one of his gorgeous hooks. It will bring you lots of joy!

DixieRedHead said...

Sounds like you had an amazing time! Awe u met Jimbo, too!

Gina said...

:P

Ruby said...

Wow! Sounds like a great time. I've read a lot about Jimbo's hooks...I'm simply envious!

I do love your blog, so I have nominated you for an award over on my blog. Thanks for blogging!

Deborah said...

sorry jimbo, but in addition to your beautiful hooks looking very artsy and beautiful, that giant hook, very phallic indeed!

Pam said...

Jimbo and the jumbo hook, couldn't resist. Sounds like an excellent time.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Jimbo is amazing love the hook:)Hugs Darcy

erin said...

Awesome pic of the hairpin lace! You're not a hairpin lace tard - c'mon now! I hope you don't mind if I link to your post w/ your pics on my blog. I need an example of hairpin lace and what the heck it looks like to explain to something to my readers....long story. =) Credit will be given, promise!

xoxox erin