Sunday, May 07, 2006

Wings!



Unfortunately for my husband, he was the only one present this afternoon to model my new wings (if being my spokesmodel doesn't force him out into the job market, I don't know what will)...blue bottle fly wings in cape form to be specific. Aren't they neato???



Just look at that wool! It's a lovely colorway scored from this seller on Ebay. Their variegated yarns are really spectacular. Take a look at these and these.



Also notice the way I designed the wings themselves. I wanted each wing to look as if emanated from a central line or core. I was able to capture this look through increasing and decreasing at the center of the rows as opposed to the ends thereby making a chevron shape (similar to that in ripple or wave patterns). They look very leaf-like. Definitely organic. I evened out the initial chevron by introducing short rows. Pretty darn cool.



At the top of each wing I used some of the Koigu Deneen (Deneen love your new blog-look!) sent me to crochet a casing. Voila! Wings fit for any bipedal creature.

I will be making this pattern available to all eventually. Yes, I know. I always say that! Heck, if I could just make a living making this stuff, my pattern writing would move along much quicker. Currently I am converting this pattern to knitting as I hope to offer both versions, yes, eventually.

Crochet Stats

Yarn: Jojoland fingering wool in azure blue, rose wine (color no. 7-y46)
Hook: D
Pattern: Me, myself and I

29 comments:

Pam said...

OMGosh - I love, love, LOVE them!!

noricum said...

They're great!

sara said...

Awesome! Simply awesome!

Deneen said...

Too neat! Your poor hubby must have been thrilled to model them-

c-mama said...

Those are great!

Jessica said...

Those are wonderful! I do love the leaf-like shape of them. Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Tell your husband he looks great in wings - there aren't many men who could carry them off the way he does.

Anonymous said...

Those are some super fab wings. I can't imagine why your honey wouldn't want to model them. :)

Jennifer said...

Yeah! Those are awesome! I can't wait for a pattern!

MomThatsNuts said...

Hey YOU~~~
I love your wings. I love all the stuff you do though. I am going to start a beanie for Drum~troll~ing. Your hubby is a great sport...lol

Hope everything is going great for you!!
Mom

Unknown said...

Those are so awesome. Excellent Job!!!! Love them.

Pam said...

Cool! Now you need to make fly eyes to go with them....

LadyLinoleum said...

Pam - fly eyes are definitely in the works. You know me too well!

Heather Cox said...

Oh. My. God! *jaw dropping open* Those are so sweet!

Pamela Foreman said...

Those are so COOL!!! What do you plan on using them for? I love the colors!! AWESOME DESIGN!!!

dizzy von damn! said...

WOW! they look so great.

our gang is going to RULE.

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

They looook MAHvolous!!! Of course, I knew they would. I would so be into knitting them. Way better than a silly old cape fer sure!!

Bri Ana said...

Viva Las Bitches on Two Wheels! Wheeee!

~drew emborsky~ said...

Very cool! I love 'em!!

Anabel said...

Wow!! So funny!:-)

Jess Hutch said...

These are *amazing*! Holy cow. Your inventiveness is astounding.

Willie Baronet said...

Poor guy, what we won't do for love. :-)

stuffed said...

The coolest.

Don't give me yarn links. Honestly, what were you thinking!?! :)

Ooh! I know of the perfect specs to coordinate with your wings. Ever see the movie Them? Gorgeous bug eyed goggles are sported in one scene. I bet the Hubman would love them. LOL

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Another awesome-o garb. How do you do it? You constantly amaze me. I really wish someone would publish a book of your stuff. Then you could relax and devote all your time to crochet and design.

- your fan

Anonymous said...

these are so fantastic!

Crafty Andy said...

Must be the Chapulin Wings? Happy birthdate by the way!!!

natasha said...

amazing! as usual.

also, if the yarn company didn't have interest in your designs, i would be shocked. they have really unusual yarn. not too shabby, darlin'.

Anonymous said...

your wings are beautiful!!!

you are so creative...