Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Urban Craft Center

I belong to the community of craft. Currently my community can be characterized as being primarily of a virtual nature, be that by blog, message board or that new mecca of internet yarndom, Ravelry. Sure, occasionally I'm able to hit my local SNB and hang out with my peeps in the flesh so to speak, but mostly my yarnalogue happens via world wide web and I've been mostly satisfied with this situation. However, nothing truly beats connecting with my crowd, needles clicking, hooks, um, hooking, in the background as we catch up on each other's lives, laughing, sharing stories and of course inhaling some great food. I love that! Unfortunately, I don't get to my beloved SNB as much as I'd like because well, life tends to get in the way. Also, sometimes it can take me 55 to 60 minutes to travel from my office to Farmer's Market, site of SNB (about 4.5 miles), which makes me nuts. Not into it.

At any rate, I'm pleased to announce that my crafty-peeps-in-person (or lack thereof) problem has been assuaged thanks to my friend and fellow cube farm inmate, Jenna! Yesterday morning Jenna sent me an email with a link to this new establishment that just happens to be minutes away from my home and office!


Woo hoo!

And here's the best part, not only is this a locale where those of us who are crafty can hang, make and be merry, but they offer classes too! After perusing the class schedule, Jenna and I decided to take the embroidery class together next week (Bri, you may want to join us...it's crewel) and in October I am planning to attend the spinning class. Since the UCC is new and therefore currently lacks the ability to take credit cards, Jenna and I sped over there at lunch to give them checks for our classes. We were greeted by a beautiful facility, plenty of natural light, new tables, chairs, cabinets and one of two familiar proprietors! You've no idea how happy I am to have this amazing resource open in my neighborhood.

So, if you live in Los Angeles, like to make stuff while in the company of others, this is the venue for you. Go check it out and sign up for some classes! Or just go, hang out and make stuff with other peeps who are similarly engaged. You will not be sorry.

Long live the Urban Craft Center!

6 comments:

Carol said...

You a sooo lucky! But you already know that1 I love crewel!

Anonymous said...

Dude... you've replaced me!

;)

Okay, I'll met you guys over there.

xx
me

Crafty Andy said...

Yep definitley very lucky indeed. You have to keep entertained somewhow! lol!

Kimberly said...

What a wonderful new find! I dream of the day I'll be able to craft in real life with people who speak my language! Enjoy the break from the cube farm with those classes!

Crafty Christina said...

That's awesome!

Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Nice Matters award. I love your blog and have been reading for quite some time.

Anonymous said...

So jealous! I've been trying to get a craft group together her for four years, to no avail. Alas.