Thursday, August 28, 2008

Feather and Fan Stole



I've finally gotten around to photographing a few new FO's. The pic above happens to be my version of the Feather and Fan Stole from Cheryl Oberle's book, Folk Shawls.

This stole was actually an quite an interesting knit by virtue of material, unspun Icelandic wool. Yep, the whole thing is knit with pencil roving. Although, at first a bit trying to work with (the roving pulls apart easily when tugged), I found my groove eventually, enabling me to create this wonderfully rustic, for lack of a better word, knitted fabric.

I love the autumnal quality of the finished wrap and plan to make another one in black and charcoal. Methinks it will be a lovely winter accessory.
Can't wait to dig into my next Folk Shawls project. I'm definitely up for a challenge!

10 comments:

Natalie said...

Gorgeous is about all that can be said. really gorgeous

Micky said...

Awesomely beautiful.
:)

elaines630 said...

Wow! That looks amazing!

Deneen said...

Amazing (all the other words I was going to use were taken)-I adore using pencil roving as it is too :)

Caroline B said...

That must have taken some work, it's so wide!! Beautiful & worth it!

Feral Housewife X said...

beautiful!

it does make me think of autumn... that favorite time of the year... i can almost smell the pumpkin pie baking...

i have never worked with roving... is it much different to work with?

Batty said...

Wow, it's beautiful! And big. You'll never freeze again.

Vorpal Knitter said...

Stunning!

The kimono shawl is on my list.

DixieRedHead said...

so very cool!!! I've given you an award at my blog by the way. I really enjoy reading your blog girl!

Dk's Wife said...

I love feather and fan or old shale, whichever you prefer to call it :)