Friday, July 16, 2010

Patch Me Up!

So, yeah, I've been doing a bit of traveling and hiking lately. As such, I have been wont to record my expeditions in a format that suits my personality. What method have I come up with, inquiring minds want to know? A wearable one of course!

I bring you, my very personalized trip record jacket...

Trip Record Jacket

I purchased this lovely tapered-at-the-waist military cast-off at my local surplus store for a mere $9.95, upon making my decision regarding format of this, uh, journal. Now, I just comb the wilds of our state (and, hopefully, eventually, beyond) for gift shops and visitors' centers in search of patches. It's like I'm a girl scout on a scavenger hunt! Weeee!

So far, my right sleeve holds a few state and national park patches...

State and National Parks Patches

My left sleeve is becoming an homage to Smokey DA Bear...

Smokey Da Bear Patches

One can see forest and national park emblems emblazoned on my chest...

Yosemite Patch

Forest Patches

And I've even done a bit of embroidery meself...

Eagle Embroidered Patch

Gives new meaning to the term, eagle scout.

Anyhoo, I plan to do a few more embroidered patches of my own for this special item of apparel as well as A LOT more collecting as I continue to get my outdoors on. I may eventually need a matching bag...

Love these evolving type o' projects!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I've been thinking very hard lately about clothing and accessories which, very literally, tell a story. This is a grand example.

Rebecca said...

this is WAY awesome! what a fab project

Caroline B said...

I just love clothes that show their history too - it will be even better when it gets a bit more battered and worn!

Jessica said...

I just stumbled upon your blog while looking for crochet inspiration, and upon reaching this post decided that I was meant to find it...I just started a similar project with a new hiking backpack! Looking forward to seeing your future projects!

Tifffany said...

Love it!! Even neater than I imagined!

Accommodation Novalja said...

boys will love this one....