Thursday, April 14, 2005

Customized Crochet

Well, the Vegetable Liberation Army experiment has pushed me into a new way of working that I will dub Customized Crochet ("CC"), which consists of taking an already crocheted item (usually purchased for a low, low eBay auction price) and adding crocheted elements of my own design (i.e., big bloodshot eyeballs on found crocheted veggies).

My newest creation is made from a found crocheted chicken-thing-a-majigie (I've no idea what it is supposed to be - maybe a cover for Easter eggs). Upon first glance (on eBay) I knew that I must have it. I also intuitively knew that this chicken needed two things: chicken legs and big ole' eyeballs (um, er, that's four things). So, literally upon receipt, I started work on my poultry-themed masterpiece.

I fashioned the armatures for the feet out of pipe cleaners and crocheted a cover for each foot using a size 10 variegated pink to white crochet thread (the name of which is escaping me) in single crochet. After crocheting a foot I continued on with the rest of the leg extending it as long as a ball of thread lasted (about 4 1/2 feet). So far, so good.

Tall, skinny chicken needed more. This chicken was made to cover something (it looks like a miniature tea cozy). So, why not transform this yellow hen into a costume for a frozen chicken! It took me a couple of hours to create the "nekked" chick. I added small crocheted eyeballs to the head for the finishing touch and a new and well, not exactly improved, but definitely interesting chicken was born!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Copyright 2005 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

~drew emborsky~ said...

What a great blog and I really, I mean REEEALLY like the dead chicken! LOL What a hoot!

Deneen said...

What a completely awesome blog!! You go girl, heep on hooking!!

Ro said...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! That chicken is priceless, priceless, I tell you. If you don't belong in the hip hooks crochetring, I don't know who would LOL

Welcome aboard!