Saturday, July 02, 2005

Hillbilly Knitters Unite!

On June 12th I wrote about feeling marginalized in our own crafty community of needleworkers simply because I choose to crochet my creations instead of knit them (Knitting Yarn???). This sparked a spirited discussion about us crochet-teers and how we must band together proudly and loudly behind our craft wielding hooks, doilies and afghans in front of the masses, taking our rightful place in the needleworkers' hall of fame.

We've been called Hillbilly Knitters on message boards by those who simply don't understand our place in the lineage of needle arts as Renee so aptly pointed out. This term, though meant to be derogatory and slanderous has conversely been embraced by us crochet-teers, giving us a term to rally around and shout from the rooftops! We are proud to be Hillbilly Knitters! Kari expands upon the definition our newly adopted group identity below:


Hillbilly Knitters (male and female) would be grass roots, salt of the earth knitters, nothing fancy, not yarn snobbish (ok we ALL have some yarn snob in us we just don't want to admit it), but rough and tumble - can knit through a tornado and not get ruffled type of knitter.

Are you a Hillbilly Knitter? Join the ranks and help us show our force in numbers! Take this button, save it to your server and display it proudly on your blog and/or website.



Then read and share your stories with the rest of us. Check out Hooked, a new blog project masterminded by Sara, for crocheters to bond through individual stories and shared experiences. Also, read BellaLinda's current post. It's not to be missed!

Postscript - To all you self-defined KNITTERS ONLY out there, pull up a chair, a hook and some yarn. We Hillbillies will greet you with some chicory coffee, or a latte if you please, and some good conversation. Before you know it, you'll be makin' a few chains, then a doily or two, hell, even a hat or a scarf. You may find that we aren't that different afterall. We all come together for the love of yarn and a strong addiction to makin' stuff. You may even find the Hillbilly Knitter lurking inside you...

Hillbilly Knitters UNITE!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

yeehawwww!

~drew emborsky~ said...

Oh cool, and ya gotta make this into a webring!!

Deneen said...

I can't get the button to show up~ Argh!!!

I know I'm a hillbilly knitter too!

Ro said...

Okay, I'm doing my best Morrissey impression as our torch song...

"Hillbilly knitters of the worrrrrrlllld,
Unite and take overrrrr..."

:D

Cannot wait to put that button on my blog.

You're right, Drew, it should be a webring!

Anonymous said...

I need therapy to deal with a wet fortnight in a caravan in Wales when I was eleven and taught to crochet by my friend's mum. Not a great introduction to your revered art and I have never wielded a hook since. But I am more than happy to add my support to crafty equality and to look at your wonderful creations.

sara said...

Can't wait to get my button on my blog. I thought BellaLinda's post was FABULOUS!!! I was thinking, if you stiffen doilies enough, the could make good shields for going of to battle...

MomThatsNuts said...

Count me in, but I am gonna sit and watch for a while, Im making a shawl for my MIL from Tennessee. It is GOING to hillbilly country does that count??? lol

Mom

Jana said...

thanks regina, got the button up and already had someone inquire about it! i directed karla here to read your great article. thanks!

Nancy said...

My great grandma was a champion crocheter......she once completed a kingsized bed spread out of cotton (teeeenniny) guage twine. It was what she could afford. The thread in this "coverlet" is about as big around as a heavy apolstery (spelling?) thread. The pattern is a pineapple motif, her favorite, and one she repeated in many a doily, shawl and antimacasscar. Hooray for Hillbilly knitters!

Rissa said...

What a scream. I guess I can stand up and admit I am a Hillbilly Knitter...but being from Georgia and living in Mississippi...would you expect anything else? LOL

Anonymous said...

yonk! that was our battlecry in my little hick town of 300 kind hearted country folks....I wanna join up...but no chicory coffee at my place to offer - but got a mason jar full of sweeeeeet tea and maybe a little fried okra or pickled okra - even better! i'm saving it now!

Kimberly said...

Hello. My name is Kimberly and I am a Hillbilly Knitter. I recently read a post by a knitter where us "Crocheters" should stay off of "their" sites....made me so mad I turned a nice shade of purple in my rage - especially since they were taking a personal dig at me in the process! I've knitted, but I prefer crochet. You'll never hear me knocking down knitters thought - both crafts are amazing - just wish that the knitters would agree!

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm in. I see those in this "ring" (Drew? Where's that ring?) are of many ages. I, being on the verge of 30 (ugh), have NEVER understood the snobbery of knitters who give us no credit. Why is it in this day and age are people intentionally trying to divide? I just don't get it. It's stupid thinking.

If what I do makes me a hillbilly, OH WELL. Sign me up for life.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am really diggin this Hillbilly Knitter thing. I am unfortunately not totally computer savvy! How do I get this button on my blog??? I want everyone to know what a Hillbilly Knitter is!! Anyone please help?

On another note. I own a yarn shop. I am not up on all the abbreviations, I am assuming this is the LYS? Love all of your rants on the 'knitting yarn' vs everyone elses yarn! Totally hilarious! I am a granny taught crocheter from the age of 8 (now almost 35). My motto is "If it can be crocheted, it can be made". Due to a lack of really awesome crochet patterns being available, I have done lots of 'last minute-gotta have it-gift won't be complete without it' type projects. Lately I decided it was really time for me to learn how to knit. My mom taught me how to cast on years ago but I put it down because it went soooo slowwwww! I have picked it up again and come to the conclusion...I am an eternal crocheter! I know...you feel my relief too! I have purchased a knitting machine, because yes, I am lazy. Kudos to all you for real "click-click" knitters out there. I am just not cut out for it. Crochet hooks love me and I love them back! Yarn is my friend....and I am so bold as to crochet with yarn titled "knitting yarn"...just so I can say...see?? HA!
Thank you for the liberation of my new title...hillbilly knitter!

bizzyboppers

Alta said...

I'm gonna do it! I admit I am a HillBilly Knitter! I do knit on occassion, but my real love is crochet. It goes faster and to me is alot easier. I can actually watch a movie and crochet. Look for the button on my blog at http://lovecountryliving.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi,I do both knitting and crocheting.I didn't realize there was a war going on between crocheters and knitters until I read the comments on this site.I love doing both and don't consider myself a snob.My mother taught me to knit as a child when I got a little beginner kit for Christmas.I taught myself to crochet by watching my Mother and my Sister crochet.I have made some beautiful things(in my opinion)doing both.I agree with Kimberly...both crafts are amazing.

Anonymous said...

how wonderful to find a place where as a hillbilly I can find others who share my love for knitting. I've been knitting since I was 7. I love the feel of yarn in my hands. My eyes delight in the variety of colors!

Anonymous said...

Ordered the bacon chart two days ago. After e-mailing with no answer, I came back here and noticed your post. So I'm posting. Please send my chart. I'm dying to get it!