Thursday, April 06, 2006

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Yes, more of Ireland...

Whilst atop the Emerald Isle the travelers three decided to take a couple of factory tours. So, first off we hopped in the rental Beemer and traversed yet another set of narrow two-lane Irish highways to the city of Waterford, south of Dublin.

And what is Waterford famous for? Yep, crystal! Now, I have to admit, I had never been a huge crystal fan. Yes, it's very pretty when it catches the light and glistens, but I am more of an earthy girl. I love pottery and stoneware. Oh, and I love glass too, but more in vein of Dale Chihuly (who by the way, I believe to be a genius with glass right down to his piratic eye patch) than cut crystal. Anyway, when in Ireland one must go to the Waterford Crystal Visitors Centre where they allow you to slap down some euros and get on a bus for transport to their working factory floor (please note that I said working factory floor, relevant to next "tour").

Upon leaving the bus we were guided through the various artisan workshops to witness the magic of making glass. The glassblowers and cutters being my faves:





Then we were shuffled onto the engraving room where I fell in love...





Skellies on Waterford Crystal! Had this piece not been close to 500 euros, it would be mine.

Wait, there's more:





Okay, the fetus one is a bit much, but nonetheless I had not expected to see any piece of glass like this at the Waterford Crystal factory.

At the tour's end, we were dropped off before the GIGANTOR gift shop and yes, I purchased a few pieces...and a few more. So, yeah, I like crystal now...

LadyLinoleum's rating of the Waterford Crystal experience is definitely two thumbs way up!

Unfortunately, my thumbs are pointing downward for the next factory tour...or whatever the next experience was supposed to be.

A little background...months before embarking on our Emerald Isle tour I had heard that visitors can tour the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. I was so excited at the prospect of learning how the dark molasses-y brew was magically conjured that the notion of such a visit was far and away becoming the focal point of my impending journey. Okay, so I don't get out much. Whateva!

Anyway, upon entering the Storehouse we were asked to plunk down 14 euros apiece. Then and only then were we told that the "tour" was self-guided. Okay, fine, but how am I to know how the dark molasses-y brew is conjured??? Well, from the reading materials posted on the walls.



Seven floors of reading materials posted on the walls. Oh, and did I mention that this isn't actually a factory tour? No? Actually it's just seven floors of reading materials posted on the walls with a few antique brewing machines spattered about. Why are you looking a little hot around the collar oh Lady of the Linoleum??? We show you the ingredients for Pete's sake!





And you get a free pint of Guinness...Uh, that would be a big ole NO to the free part. IMHO, that pint is compensation for making me read seven floors worth of verbiage with little to no visuals at the highway robbery price of 14 euros. Thank you very much. Bitter? No, not me.

A word of advice, when visiting Dublin just hit a few pubs, order a pint (or three), watch some football on the television, dialog with a few of the locals and relax. From that experience you will learn more about what goes into the local brew than plunking down Disneyland ticket prices to self-guide through the maze of verbiage at the Guinness Storehouse.

More green highlights to come...

18 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! I'm not much a fan of crystal either, but that stuff is stunning! Bummer about the other "tour" though.

So what else did you do? :)

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

The fetus cystal is something else! Looking forward to the next installment...

Kate said...

Wow--now I'm hoping I'll see one of those weird Waterfords on a wedding registry. A bit beyond my price range (even for a dear skeleton-loving friend) but what an antidote to all the saccharine crap usually found on wedding registries!

~drew emborsky~ said...

Great, now I have a hankerin' for a Guiness... LOL

The crystal tour sounds amazing and well worth the price of admission!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for saving me from the Guiness tour if ever I get to Ireland. So Waterford crystal can be cool, who knew!

sara said...

Drool on the Crystal! love the skeleton one!

Crafty Andy said...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and orgasmic visual display. LOL. Don't mind me, must be the mole verde chicken I had this afternoon

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. That crystal is awesome....Excellent...

Anonymous said...

you win some... you lose some!

The crystal is fantastic... i love the skeleton piece... but am strangely drawn to the fetus... veddy veddy interesting!

The stuff you bought is gorgeous!

sounds like you had a good time! looking forward to reading more about your vacation... did you find a pot o' gold?

Maggie The LadyHawk said...

We were also wowed (is too a word) by the Waterford tour, but just didn't have one more square inch to purchase anything to take home.

I had already hear that the Guiness tour sucked, and was expensive, and we actually skipped Dublin altoghether. Sorry!

Speaking of beer, did you try Smithwicks beer? (Pronounced "Smitticks")You can now get it in the states, and it is by far my most favorite beer in the world (so far).

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, i never knew waterford could be SO cool. I want some skeletal waerford crystal... but maybe I'll pass on the fetuses? feti?

By the by, my wedding "china" is some fantabulous hand thrown and painted day of the dead stuff...

dizzy von damn! said...

the fetus one is just weird.

i would be concerned about the person who bought it, and i am not a judgey person.

FinnyKnits said...

Squweet looking crystal! The tree portion of your skeleton favorite is stunning -- we'll split it. Boo on Guiness -- that is sucky. Perhaps a way to punish tourists.

Stephen said...

I will certainly not think of Waterford crystal the same any longer.

Speaking of pubs, I'm kinda thirsty...

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful arent' they.

My mom actually went to a Dale Chihuly exhibit too- she isn't much for art, but she went with my Aunt.

I've heard her tell people about her experience there a few times and she ALWAYS calls it the Chipolte exhibit. It's hilarious, no matter how many times I correct her, she insists on calling it the Chipolte exhibit.

Lisa said...

OH Wow, when did you go to Ireland? That is the trip of my dreams. I HATE flying, but for Ireland, I'd do it.

Sending myself an email to check the rest of your blog Monday (when I have faster internet at work).

Hope you are having a WONDERFUL trip.

stuffed said...

Glad Waterford rocks.The Guinness tour used to be much better. Welcome back!

LG said...

What a great trip Regina! I wish I could visit Ireland someday too!