Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sweater Weather

Last week I had one hell of a time at the cube farm my friends. Literally, I was buried under mountains of paper. It was nuts. So nuts in fact that I had little time to (i) read blogs, (ii) answer email and (iii) post on this here boggity blog blog. Needless to say I was so drained upon my return home Friday night that I could do little more than crawl into my bed and fall into deep slumber. Yeah, we're really living in the fast lane here at Chez Linoleum, let me tell ya.

However, despite my cube farm induced brain drain I was nonetheless able to complete a much anticipated (by moi of course) FO this morning! Here it 'tis in all of it's cotton glory...



I know! It's an actual sweater! Designed by me!

True, you've not seen many um, well, accessible items of clothing designed by this Lady of the Linoleum as of yet, but I assure you, I can do clothing. Clothing that is actually stylish! Okay, clothing that is also a little bit funky. But, you have to admit, this little striped and skulled diddy is quite wearable.

Anyhoo, this skully sweater is a pattern that I modified from an original design that I did during my February design for mags month from hell. The original sweater was done in a different size range (tweens to teens) and in a completely different fiber. I had to size upward for this baby and make a few modifications to fit my um, well, boobies. I also made a change from the original acrylic blend yarn to Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece, which is a dream to work with.

Now really, I'm not a huge fan of crocheted form-fitting garments. Generally, I believe crochet to be too structured for this purpose. However, I swatched A LOT. And I came up with a hook to fiber ratio that allowed the fabric some give. Even the intarsia skull motif didn't turn out too stiff and thick. I do, however, plan to modify this pattern into a knitted version. I also plan to create a few alternate motifs, for this is a good "basic" Spring/Summer design that I can rock myriad ways.

I will definitely let you know when I spot this sweater pattern's kin on the shelves of your local bookseller's magazine section.

In addition, the publisher of Kooky Crochet sent out final cover pics for the book...



Pretty cool, eh?

Here's to a wonderful week ahead everyone! I missed you all!!

Copyright 2007 Regina Rioux Gonzalez. All rights reserved.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

*gasp* I must have that! So awesome!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I love it.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute with the heart-shaped eyes! I have a friend that would be all over that if she saw it--she has a thing for girly skulls.

Deneen said...

Awesome wearable-I love it!

Emily said...

I love the top-- the off-kilter skully really sets it apart from the run-of-the-mill pirate gear now available. Bravo!

http://blog.standardD.net

dizzy von damn! said...

i still love the motif.

Carol said...

Very cool!

Rosemary said...

I love that sweater something fierce.

Bunny said...

I truely like that sweater! After all the pirate costume madness that I created last month, it fits right into my current moods. I wanted to do a white filet crochet shawl with the skull and cross bones but... I crochet much much slower than I sew.

Stephen said...

The only thing that would top it off is a matching blood pressure cuff cozie to take to your next doctor appointment (while wearing the sweater of course!)! :) (Sorry... is that in too bad of taste?...)

Micky said...

Everything is better with a skull and cross bones on it!
And really, did I need another book to obsess about?
:)

Anonymous said...

I have seen so many crocheted skulls lately. What is up with that?

Unknown said...

That sweater is AMAZING. Everything I own/make lately has skulls on it, AND you crocheted that in my favourite colours!

Kare said...

Very cool sweater. You're so talented, Lady L.

Unknown said...

That is so funky! And the colors you chose are great.

DixieRedHead said...

That is so cool. Definately a must-have.

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Wow--I can't wait to make one for my daughter--do let us know when it's published!

jenna! said...

That sweater seriously rocks.

DixieRedHead said...

stunning, as always!

Trifarina said...

Hey! I got my copy of Kooky Crochet in the mail yesterday! What a fun book! I love the mixed grill placemeats!

Unknown said...

Where can I get the pattern for this sweater? I would LOVE to make one!!!